Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(18/12/2014 22:22)FC Pictures Wrote: [ -> ]North west is getting a raw deal here losing modern stock for the sake of new deckers. priorities seem to be misplaced, surely all the old junk Darts Cadets and Dafs need shifting out not newer stock

As do other regions! And given NW are likely to get further new stock later on, I think losing 49 Pulsars and gaining 53 Enviro400s (not including Chester's 8) isn't a raw deal.
I for one would rather lose 49 pulsars and gain 53 enviro400 as its much needed in the merseyside area as i had a drive of 4600 in the depot and drive a lot better than a pulsar.
A right mixed bag out today(Friday).All 12 reg pulsars on 2,including 3124,3129,3130,and on 410/1 circuit 2435,2445,2629 plus 2906,2907 and 2941 on 418/9.Still no sign of 4201?
(18/12/2014 23:03)motormayhem1 Wrote: [ -> ]I for one would rather lose 49 pulsars and gain 53 enviro400 as its much needed in the merseyside area as i had a drive of 4600 in the depot and drive a lot better than a pulsar.

you miss the point, it`s not reducing the fleet age at all,we still have the old junk with no sign of replacements
(20/12/2014 02:40)FC Pictures Wrote: [ -> ]you miss the point, it`s not reducing the fleet age at all,we still have the old junk with no sign of replacements
Disagree,it is still a win win situation with the swop,the junk will last for a couple of years yet, until they are replaced
Maybe this particular order isn't all about fleet renewal, I'd say it's more about increasing capacity on key services this time. You have to remember that these Enviro400s are a diverted order, without that then there would be no fleet age reduction at all, even if it is only a couple of years with them.
Also the areas where these vehicles had been diverted from where only going to agree if the vehicles they recieved in exchange were of a decent age , hence the removal of some very recent pulsars to be replaced by older versions .

I dont think the management could play that card again
The reason for diverting the order is as been said that management for merseyside have seen an increase in demand on certain corridors and want to fulfil that demand by swapping single deckers for double deckers.
Most of the older stock will get replaced next year most probably with more deckers for the likes of green lane , speke and heard st helens might get a few more to put on certain duties that might require them.
Also, this order kills two birds with one stone when you look at the national picture for Arriva - they order for the North West and transfer buses which are, maximum, three years old out to the likes of The Shires, ANE and the Midlands to replace non-DDA compliant vehicles still in service, without having to invest in several batches of new vehicles for each of those regions.
Originally the Enviro's where ordered for what part of the Arriva empire and was that investment cancelled .
Reference URL's