Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can they not run cross-river buses via Castle St, James St, The Strand and terminate at Liverpool ONE? Same route in reverse but via Cook St and then usual routes from thereon in. Seems a bit silly having overcrowding in Cook St when Liverpool ONE is largely empty by comparison. I think it would make better sense to tie-in Wirral services directly into a principle Liverpool hub for better integration. For example, I like many others find myself having to walk across the city centre to get from the 471/2 to the 86.
Think they tried it with Sunday 401's but it did not last long
(26/01/2015 18:39)Shaun821 Wrote: [ -> ]Pier Head is a bit out of the way. But where else big enough is there? Queen Square gets clogged upnif theres 2 buses on a stand,

Queen Square would be a lot more efficient if they got rid of those stupid pedestrian barriers. That would allow 2 buses to load simultaneously, instead of forcing the second bus to wait until the first bus has loaded & departed.
I agree with what's been said about Queen Square, the Merseytravel ruling not allowing 2 vehicles to load up at one stand at the same time is daft in my opinion and seems to be one of the main reasons for late running of services
(27/01/2015 07:36)M60lad Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with what's been said about Queen Square, the Merseytravel ruling not allowing 2 vehicles to load up at one stand at the same time is daft in my opinion and seems to be one of the main reasons for late running of services

At most merseytravel bus stations a second bus would block up the departure of the any bus on the previous bus stop , that could also cause chaos , merseytravel are damned if they do and damned if they dont , its a no win situation.

Wasnt the 401 extended to Birkenhead Bus Station because of the extended layover time in Liverpool though that's all .
(26/01/2015 23:32)E208 WBG Wrote: [ -> ]Think they tried it with Sunday 401's but it did not last long

Would this be down to passenger numbers? Easily resolved by changing destination boards to "Liverpool One" so people know exactly where the bus is going. Arriva seem to be doing more specific destinations on more of their services now: the 10 showing Victoria Street for example. Regardless of passenger numbers, the dead milage incurred on driving around the Cook St/Debenhams loop trying to find a place to stop is probably more than simply extending into Liverpool ONE bus station. It is pointless using Queen Square given the close proximity of Whitechapel and Sir Thomas Street, and the convoluted route to get into or out of Queen Square and back into the tunnel. Liverpool ONE seems a natural evolution of the route and given the apparent underuse of mose of the bus stands, a logical place to layover. I'm sure there are two stands on the Police HQ side where Wirral services could comfortably fit in around existing services.
A question that needs to be asked , can a driver be disciplined for not stopping at a stop where he can not physically get his bus on the stop due to other buses parked on the stop he is required to use , if he has to go round the block as such and still cant get into the bus stop he is now outside the VOSA time limit for lateness.
(27/01/2015 11:53)wirralbus Wrote: [ -> ]A question that needs to be asked , can a driver be disciplined for not stopping at a stop where he can not physically get his bus on the stop due to other buses parked on the stop he is required to use , if he has to go round the block as such and still cant get into the bus stop he is now outside the VOSA time limit for lateness.

They could be, especially if the passenger get's injured as a result, then put a claim against the company, & drivers do get fined if they don't stop at the right stand at Merseytravel bus stations.
The problem with calling at Liverpool One is the time it takes to get from one section of the Strand to another. During peak times it can take as long as 10/15 just to get from Liverpool One to James Street and that's without all the traffic lights around Castle Street, Victoria Street, and queuing for Sir Thomas Street
NEWS: Six Cadets going by the end of the year. They will be replaced by six Myllenniums from Green Lane. 4001/2 will be also be going. At the end of 2016 new double deckers will have arrived as they're on order. As we know, the Streetlites are soon to arrive, however no date is set.
Reference URL's