Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why would Arriva refurbish a Bus they are about to Withdraw...
It comes down to this, comfort for all on board including the driver, increased reliability and decent capacity. With that they could get easily 20 - 30 more years out of them.
Arriva operate a 15 Year policy so an extended life is not on the cards for them
(06/10/2015 19:26)Myllenium2453 Wrote: [ -> ]It comes down to this, comfort for all on board including the driver, increased reliability and decent capacity. With that they could get easily 20 - 30 more years out of them.

Older vehicles will be more unreliable. Parts will become harder to source, unreplacable parts such as the chassis will become worn down as well as the failure that is the position of the radiator that has been designed for use on left-hand traffic roads meaning a likelihood to overheat continuing. The technology onboard the bus such as the electrical system are also outdated by nearly two decades and you would not be able to solve the problem of sagging or rattling bodywork.

It's easier to replace the buses and more financially viable.
Travelled home on 82 last night. Dreadful bus - more rattles than in a babys pram.
(06/10/2015 20:36)Raawwwrrr! Wrote: [ -> ]Older vehicles will be more unreliable. Parts will become harder to source, unreplacable parts such as the chassis will become worn down as well as the failure that is the position of the radiator that has been designed for use on left-hand traffic roads meaning a likelihood to overheat continuing. The technology onboard the bus such as the electrical system are also outdated by nearly two decades and you would not be able to solve the problem of sagging or rattling bodywork.

It's easier to replace the buses and more financially viable.

They spend most of the summero overheated along New Brighton prom do they not?

I remember being on one a while ago and rain water was pouring in throughe every ceiling panel joint, not just the odd drip, proper pouring!

The build qualityi s poor, as has been mentioned they're flawed in design, and a number of them when overdue an appointment with the cutting torch.

However I am told the good ones do drive pretty nicely.
(07/10/2015 09:34)R879 HRF Wrote: [ -> ]The build qualityi s poor, as has been mentioned they're flawed in design, and a number of them when overdue an appointment with the cutting torch.

I remember reading something a few years ago about Bus Vannin selling off a load of relatively new deckers because they couldn't be used in the rain because the leaks blew all the fuses in the electrical system. The builder? East Lancs! I saw one in service recently operating as an open-topper where it hardly ever rains, Malta.
(07/10/2015 10:02)Barney Wrote: [ -> ]
(07/10/2015 09:34)R879 HRF Wrote: [ -> ]The build qualityi s poor, as has been mentioned they're flawed in design, and a number of them when overdue an appointment with the cutting torch.

I remember reading something a few years ago about Bus Vannin selling off a load of relatively new deckers because they couldn't be used in the rain because the leaks blew all the fuses in the electrical system. The builder? East Lancs! I saw one in service recently operating as an open-topper where it hardly ever rains, Malta.

The build quality of east lancs bodied buses has always been questionable, remember the EKD-L atlanteans, they were a bit dodgy build wise, probably why none exist in preservation. They did improve a bit on the later R/S/T/V/W plate ones but they weren't exactly great either. Only two ex MPTE east lancs atlanteans in preservation probably tells its own story.
Voith are at Laird St today regarding the StreetLites. Drivers and the union have raised issues about the quality of their gear boxes. Voith are looking at ways to speed pull offs and tame the gear boxes from banging.
Not sure if anybody has seen it yet but 6002 is on the 414s today. I saw it in upton at about 10:50 this morning running early. Don't know why but none of the 413s or 414s seem to run ON TIME lately, they are either 3 - 5 minutes early or up to 10 minutes late.

Has anybody noticed this lately.
Reference URL's