Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Delays on the 403-413-414 due to a broken down vehicle on Upton Road Moreton Cross.
(13/03/2015 14:21)R879 HRF Wrote: [ -> ]Just seen a fitter attending to a dead president in Birkenhead by central station, presume on a 492/5.

Also saw an UID ex wales (?) dart on the back of a PVS wagon around 11 am on the M53 heading away from Birkenhead, guessing this is one from the back of LS

That will be ex ABW 821 W269 NFF, finally gone after many months.
Over the last 12 months Arriva have, on their Liverpool based services, changed their city-centre bound services' destinations to their actual terminus rather than simply 'Liverpool'. Why have Birkenhead not yet adopted this?

There are occations where the driver will evict passengers at Whitechapel where one would expect the service to run through to Cook Street. Personally I think that LS should start displaying Cook Street, Dale Street and Whitechapel so that people know where they can get to.
(14/03/2015 21:07)Enviro400 Wrote: [ -> ]There are occations where the driver will evict passengers at Whitechapel where one would expect the service to run through to Cook Street. Personally I think that LS should start displaying Cook Street, Dale Street and Whitechapel so that people know where they can get to.

I disagree, it'd get confusing if say a 437 was displaying Cook Street - Cook Street Birkenhead?
Really what was wrong with the area in Castle Street that was used which seemed to have enough room for most buses , now we have an area where there really insufficient room for all buses if they appear all at once and if they do they all block the road in cook street.

Why change destinations for something the passengers know , how many of those passengers would know the road name , but only the location they was going from by sight .
(14/03/2015 21:07)Enviro400 Wrote: [ -> ]Over the last 12 months Arriva have, on their Liverpool based services, changed their city-centre bound services' destinations to their actual terminus rather than simply 'Liverpool'. Why have Birkenhead not yet adopted this?

There are occations where the driver will evict passengers at Whitechapel where one would expect the service to run through to Cook Street. Personally I think that LS should start displaying Cook Street, Dale Street and Whitechapel so that people know where they can get to.

For people who don't know the city centre too well and especially those travelling in from neighbouring towns, it can be confusing to see anything other than 'Liverpool' on the dests.
Maybe having 'Liverpool' on the top line and 'Queen Square' on the lower line (perhaps alternating with some via points) would work.
I know that just seeing 'Queen Square' confuses some people who think the bus must be going off to some obscure place out of their town.
But isn't that the fault of the City for not having big city centre bus terminus points? like Birmingham and London we know the big bus terminus points as out of towners but liverpool is higgeldy piggeldy without organisation or cross communication i like Liverpool as a city but until the bus terminus's improve i'll stick to Northern and Merseyrail
(15/03/2015 15:14)Dentonian Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not too familiar with the area, but looking at the Merseytravel map, Whitechapel is a long way short of Cook Street. On what "occasions" are passengers being "evicted" at Whitechapel? Unless, there is a police incident, road diversion or similar, or different journeys are registered to terminate at different points in the city centre, this is contravening registered particulars.

I'm not sure if it is when drivers want to find a layover spot between Whitechapel and Cook St, so if they have an empty bus and there is space on Castle St they can grab it while its going spare rather than risking a run out to Cook Street to find they have to do the Debenhams loop a couple of times.

I think for Wirral-Liverpool services it would be best to display 'Liverpool' in big lettering with the actual destination displayed beneath in smaller lettering, as it is fair enough that there may be some confusion.
(15/03/2015 18:32)Valandil Wrote: [ -> ]For people who don't know the city centre too well and especially those travelling in from neighbouring towns, it can be confusing to see anything other than 'Liverpool' on the dests.
Maybe having 'Liverpool' on the top line and 'Queen Square' on the lower line (perhaps alternating with some via points) would work.
I know that just seeing 'Queen Square' confuses some people who think the bus must be going off to some obscure place out of their town.

Fully agree with this. It is confusing to see the assortment of city centre terminating points for any outsider, particularly at the moment with Hanover Street closed. Why via points were removed from Arriva's Liverpool buses at all I don't know, but it's a lot more confusing for anyone but a regular passenger.

It would be much clearer for everyone if the LEDs had a two line arrangement with City Centre or Liverpool on the top line and scrolling via points with the terminus specified on the lower line.

One of the few things Stagecoach Gillmoss gets right is their current destination layout: it is far, far better than the ones currently used at Arriva's Merseyside depots. Runcorn seem to be the only depot that has it right. For what it's worth, without via points I think Birkenhead's current layout is better with just 'Liverpool' for the sake of further exacerbating the confusion.
(15/03/2015 20:01)Enviro400 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if it is when drivers want to find a layover spot between Whitechapel and Cook St, so if they have an empty bus and there is space on Castle St they can grab it while its going spare rather than risking a run out to Cook Street to find they have to do the Debenhams loop a couple of times.

I think for Wirral-Liverpool services it would be best to display 'Liverpool' in big lettering with the actual destination displayed beneath in smaller lettering, as it is fair enough that there may be some confusion.

The issue of destination displays has been raised before in another thread. I may well stand corrected but as far as I know, Arriva Merseyside is the only region that displays one large static final destination. I agree that simply displaying 'Liverpool' is not really satisfactory. As a matter of interest, what do Stagecoach cross-river services display?
Reference URL's