Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The big difference is the 411 operates via Duke St Bridge into Birkenhead and the 423 will be via Four Bridges.
I believe this change to the 423 is in association with serving a new call centre which has recently opened near the Four Bridges.. The centre has a high number of employees working anti-social hours.
(08/01/2016 08:10)DVG526 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe this change to the 423 is in association with serving a new call centre which has recently opened near the Four Bridges.. The centre has a high number of employees working anti-social hours.

May be due to no 409 this 423 has been extended
Million dollar question how many will use there own transport to get to work and shun the public transport option offered by this extension.
(08/01/2016 14:51)wirralbus Wrote: [ -> ]Million dollar question how many will use there own transport to get to work and shun the public transport option offered by this extension.

To be fair it offers a 30 minute service throughout the night and has decent connections throughout the day on other services so I guess it would be welcomed. Call centres aren't renowned for paying decent wages and generally employ younger people so my guess would be that most of the workforce would probably not have access to a car all of the time and would therefore rely on the bus.

I think it's a good idea to extend the service, though the way in which they've done it is questionable at best, but one question that is in my head is what happens when the Birkenhead tunnel is shut and the bus is diverted via its own route - will it be allowed to stop given that it is running down its own route, albeit just a lot earlier on, or would it just drive past ignoring passengers waiting who see a 423 to Birkenhead with no idea that it has just come from Liverpool.

I guess Arriva would implement a policy to divert via the 410 route from the tunnel back to Birkenhead so this doesn't happen, which would just be nonsensical.
(08/01/2016 14:51)wirralbus Wrote: [ -> ]Million dollar question how many will use there own transport to get to work and shun the public transport option offered by this extension.

I agree with Enviro400's point completely - I would say it's likely the service will be well used without people choosing to leave their car at home and getting the bus instead. There are plenty of people who can't or choose not to drive - even so there are a lot of people who can drive and have regular access to a car but still choose to get the bus to work because it works out much cheaper than paying to park for the day five times a week. The amount of money saved on fuel would soon add up as well
One idea the section via the Docks could become 424 then revert to 423 at Seacombe, but it's annoying Laird Street LEDs just show plain 423 Birkenhead, rather than having a via point
In Birkenhead Bus Station where would the respective 423's depart from ?
(08/01/2016 17:53)wirralbus Wrote: [ -> ]In Birkenhead Bus Station where would the respective 423's depart from ?

Most likely:
The current 423 stand for Birkenhead via Seacombe Liscard and Moreton
The 409/411 stand for Liverpool via Seacombe, Liscard and Moreton
The Liverpool stand for the through-tunnel section

That's even if the service calls at the Bus Station a third time instead of just stopping at Grange Road and going directly to the tunnel (like a 464/487 etc)
I wonder if it would have been a good idea to have rerouted the evening 432 via Birkenhead and through the docks then on to Goresy Lane where it would follow its usual route only missing Scotty Road an potentially aging more passengers going through Birkenhead?
Reference URL's