Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(28/11/2016 08:32)R557 ABA Wrote: [ -> ]A few of the new Volvo B5LH/Gemini 3s have arrived at Laird Street this morning, they look surprisingly good in the hybrid livery.

I have seen 4803 here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/ulsterbusp...8Jf-zaRdie
(10/12/2016 21:38)Metroline1511 Wrote: [ -> ]I have seen 4803 here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/ulsterbusp...8Jf-zaRdie

Already posted on Green Lane thread
http://dartslf.com/forum/showthread.php?...1#pid99321
I hope to ride a new Volvo B5LH on this Rail Replacement service on the same trip as when I first use the new Chester bus station. As the Merseytravel website points to this service continuing until next June, it may well work out. http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/travel-up...newal.aspx
If I were running the show at Birkenhead, I'd stick the new hybrids on the rail replacements for the first week and then on the 437/432/433 of the remainder of the contract, and put the old hybrids on the rails.

This is a massive opportunity for the buses to show literally thousands of potential passengers what their alternative offering is. Playing their cards right, Arriva could seriously benefit from this.

By doing what I suggest, you maintain a high standard of vehicle on the rails for the duration of the contract (as is stated in Merseyrail's information pamphlet) and you also provide arguably the highest possible standard of vehicle within the current Merseyside fleet on the services that you're trying to attract custom to.

Buses may take longer to get from A to B, but they have leather seating which is perceived as being cleaner and they have WiFi access. I imagine and hope that the new hybrids will also have 13A or USB sockets as well. If not, Arriva have missed a trick.
I don't know what it's like for people commuting between Wirral and Liverpool by train, but I imagine some services just before 9am and just after 5pm are standing room only?
If so, there's another opportunity if Arriva puts in the resource to demonstrate that commuters can get a mythical "seat" if they travel by bus.
But if you put these on the normal service work upto the end of the rail contract then people are going to be deceived as when the older hybrids turn back up people are going to expect usb sockets or plug sockets.
They promised high spec buses for use on the rail replace so by putting older buses on it then they are not fulfilling there contract.
But if you put these on the normal service work upto the end of the rail contract then people are going to be deceived as when the older hybrids turn back up people are going to expect usb sockets or plug sockets.
They promised high spec buses for use on the rail replace so by putting older buses on it then they are not fulfilling there contract.

My guess is that before the contract finishes both new and older hybrids will have been used on both the RR contract and normal services.
(11/12/2016 09:16)motormayhem1 Wrote: [ -> ]They promised high spec buses for use on the rail replace so by putting older buses on it then they are not fulfilling there contract.

I think high-spec means effective heating for the passengers. Being brand new, they should work until June.Laugh
(11/12/2016 12:12)Barney Wrote: [ -> ]I think high-spec means effective heating for the passengers. Being brand new, they should work until June.Laugh

At least they are not hiring London Borismasters, because then come June the heating would be on full blast! Hammer
(10/12/2016 23:45)Enviro400 Wrote: [ -> ]If I were running the show at Birkenhead, I'd stick the new hybrids on the rail replacements for the first week and then on the 437/432/433 of the remainder of the contract, and put the old hybrids on the rails.

This is a massive opportunity for the buses to show literally thousands of potential passengers what their alternative offering is. Playing their cards right, Arriva could seriously benefit from this.

By doing what I suggest, you maintain a high standard of vehicle on the rails for the duration of the contract (as is stated in Merseyrail's information pamphlet) and you also provide arguably the highest possible standard of vehicle within the current Merseyside fleet on the services that you're trying to attract custom to.

Buses may take longer to get from A to B, but they have leather seating which is perceived as being cleaner and they have WiFi access. I imagine and hope that the new hybrids will also have 13A or USB sockets as well. If not, Arriva have missed a trick.

As much as I admire your thinking I don't agree with the idea. The Gemini 3s have been ordered for another depot and they are on loan to Birkenhead specifically for the rail replacement contract which as Motormayhem has said specifies high quality vehicles with WiFi and USB charging points. Apart from that the 2013 batch of hybrids have a lower capacity than the brand new Gemini 3s for Green Lane and Speke depots so using the 2013 batch on the rail replacement services would be an unnecessary decrease in capacity
Reference URL's