Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(26/04/2016 22:00)SL64 JDZ Wrote: [ -> ]I can't see that ever happening. It just isn't practical

Can I ask how isn't it practical SL64?
(27/04/2016 06:10)RedPanda Wrote: [ -> ]Can I ask how isn't it practical SL64?

It may not be practicable for a number of reasons. The chassis construction may not allow for such remedial work and has been considered in the past but the obvious reason is the fact that these buses are now close to retirement.
(27/04/2016 10:36)Barney Wrote: [ -> ]It may not be practicable for a number of reasons. The chassis construction may not allow for such remedial work and has been considered in the past but the obvious reason is the fact that these buses are now close to retirement.

I don't mean bolting it to the chassis but to the handrails. Perhaps along the gangway as this would make it more ridgid similar to a roll cage.
(27/04/2016 12:49)RedPanda Wrote: [ -> ]I don't mean bolting it to the chassis but to the handrails. Perhaps along the gangway as this would make it more ridgid similar to a roll cage.

Creating a more rigid structure probably will do more harm than good; think earthquake-proof buildings - they build in flexibility for added strength. These buses are so old and rattly that without significant work, a few reenforcements will not be advantageous.
(27/04/2016 14:24)Enviro400 Wrote: [ -> ]Creating a more rigid structure probably will do more harm than good; think earthquake-proof buildings - they build in flexibility for added strength. These buses are so old and rattly that without significant work, a few reenforcements will not be advantageous.

ok then leave the old buses and maybe those on 64 and 15 plates but you could add them to newer buses
i've also thought of a downside with if these were to be installed, kids could use them as monkey bars and the rubber seals may give way
(27/04/2016 06:10)RedPanda Wrote: [ -> ]Can I ask how isn't it practical SL64?

Firstly as Enviro400 has said creating a rigid structure creates more issues than it solves. If something is rigid then there is no "give" and if enough force is applied then it will simply snap

The most common causes of rattles on any type of bus (coin tray, cab door, loose grab poles) are not repaired by adding cross braces to any part of the vehicle. To stop buses rattling all it takes is a few screws and bolts to be tightened up where necessary - cross braces are excessive, unnecessary and they would also reduce available headroom

Not all of the Myllenniums are bad buses. Green Lane's 2474 is a brilliant bus for its age - certainly the best out of the batch in my opinion
Queen's Birthday 4434 is heading to Birkenhead next week on a loan spell!
What will Bootle get in return I wonder?
(29/04/2016 06:50)childwallblues Wrote: [ -> ]What will Bootle get in return I wonder?

Another Enviro400 perhaps?
(29/04/2016 07:29)RedPanda Wrote: [ -> ]Another Enviro400 perhaps?

Well considering Birkenhead dont have Enviro 400s...
Reference URL's