Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(14/07/2016 20:52)Dentonian Wrote: [ -> ]We've seen it all before in GM, haven't we - and no it isn't strange that the TCs haven't got involved, because GHA don't run buses with a beach ball logo!

From an enthusiasts point of view it's quite sad that another independant has gone but from a tax payers point of view it's dammed annoying because Local aurthorities never seem to learn there lesson. The operator goes into a strict contract with the LA to operate a service or group of services with a subsidy paid to support the service. While I'm sure there are a number of reasons why an operater may not be able to operate a particular journey or journeys - I would imagine weather being one reason the fact is GHA failed virtually on a daily basis over the last 6 months to operate all of it's subsidised services yet how many contracts were revoked? None that I can recall.
As soon as am operator starts to show signs of struggling LA's should be looking for any breach of contract to revoke and give to another operator to 'cushion the blow' when the inevatble happens. I realise that revoking and reissuing contracts comes at a cost but it's got to be cheaper than having multiple contracts that have to be run under emergency tender.
Stupid question folks:

How long will the emergency contracts be in place??? As has been said above, stagecoach dropped the 36 as it wasn't making them enough coinage. As did arriva with the 82.

So when the contracts need sorting on a permanent basis it's gonna be interesting to see who wants what.
(15/07/2016 02:06)33109 Wrote: [ -> ]Stupid question folks:

How long will the emergency contracts be in place??? As has been said above, stagecoach dropped the 36 as it wasn't making them enough coinage. As did arriva with the 82.

So when the contracts need sorting on a permanent basis it's gonna be interesting to see who wants what.

The emergency contracts aparently run for about 3 months you mentioned stagecoach dropping the 36 did they actually run it because I thought That had been dropped by First long before stagecoach took over
Yes, the 36 was dropped by First, not by Stagecoach. Until the unfortunate demise of GHA, Stagecoach had not operated the 36 at all.

As has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread (and other related ones), the emergency tenders last for 3 months, then it'll be up to the local operators whether they feel they can run the service commercially, or require some support. Trouble is, there isn't much cash available these days for supporting bus routes so it's possible some of those routes that were previously operated by GHA will quietly pass into history.
(14/07/2016 22:03)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]yet how many contracts were revoked? None that I can recall.

Actually 2 Cheshire East ones were before they even started. GHA were awarded the Saturday Knutsford Circular service and the evening Winsford to Crewe service, at the same time as they were awarded the new contracts for the 19 and 200 routes, yet the former finished up staying with D&G and Arriva respectively. I don't think GHA ever had the resources to take on those two additional contracts.
(15/07/2016 07:51)Turbostar Wrote: [ -> ]As has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread (and other related ones), the emergency tenders last for 3 months, then it'll be up to the local operators whether they feel they can run the service commercially, or require some support. Trouble is, there isn't much cash available these days for supporting bus routes so it's possible some of those routes that were previously operated by GHA will quietly pass into history.

Is it 3 months for all councils or are you talking about one specific council.

The 289 and 10A (Friday and Saturday evening services between Macclesfield and Bollington) were up for renewal in September anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if Howards Travel had already placed a bid to run the 289 as it's the sort of bus route that can easily be operated by a smaller operator.

Last time the 10A was up for renewal D&G, who had acquired the service through the acquisition of BakerBus, didn't bid leaving GHA as the only operator who placed a bid. Cheshire East may have difficulty getting someone to run that service now - I doubt High Peak will want an evening service in Cheshire while it's too small a contract for a big operator like Arriva.
(14/07/2016 20:52)Dentonian Wrote: [ -> ]We've seen it all before in GM, haven't we - and no it isn't strange that the TCs haven't got involved, because GHA don't run buses with a beach ball logo!

Yet they did take action against Warrington Coachways and Oakwood Travel (or whatever they're calling themselves now.)

However, the TC didn't seem interested that High Peak were cancelling services in Cheshire left, right and centre a couple of years ago, as well as providing a not very punctual service.
(15/07/2016 08:03)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]Yet they did take action against Warrington Coachways and Oakwood Travel (or whatever they're calling themselves now.)

However, the TC didn't seem interested that High Peak were cancelling services in Cheshire left, right and centre a couple of years ago, as well as providing a not very punctual service.

It was rumoured the TC had been gathering evidence against GHA only for them to go pop prior to any execution of this.
(15/07/2016 09:08)Depotosw Wrote: [ -> ]It was rumoured the TC had been gathering evidence against GHA only for them to go pop prior to any execution of this.

If that is the case I wouldn't be surprised if they still look at whether Stephen Byrce and the board should be banned from bus operations. Byrce already has a bad record from his time at YourBus and is now responsible for overseeing the collapse of one of the largest independent operators in Britain.
(15/07/2016 08:01)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]Is it 3 months for all councils or are you talking about one specific council.

The 289 and 10A (Friday and Saturday evening services between Macclesfield and Bollington) were up for renewal in September anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if Howards Travel had already placed a bid to run the 289 as it's the sort of bus route that can easily be operated by a smaller operator.

Last time the 10A was up for renewal D&G, who had acquired the service through the acquisition of BakerBus, didn't bid leaving GHA as the only operator who placed a bid. Cheshire East may have difficulty getting someone to run that service now - I doubt High Peak will want an evening service in Cheshire while it's too small a contract for a big operator like Arriva.

I didn't see the 289 up for tender, we did recently bid for the 200 but we were unsuccessful...

However, we are now going to operate the 200 from tomorrow.
Reference URL's