Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Diamond Bus North West
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(16/06/2020 19:19)T42 PVM Wrote: [ -> ]Is space limited at Eccles?

Its got space for circa 60 small vehicles. I did say at the time though it made more sense to run Wigan area stuff including the Trafford Centre's from Bolton after all Wigan is a fair distance from Eccles if anything goes wrong.

On the other subject how far are we off any new promised deckers appearing? or has this order been cancelled, as yet there is no sign of any!

Deckers would make sense as it allows capacity issues in regards lockdown to be partially eased, and also buses without driver security screens, of which there are a few to be laid aside till after the pandemic is over.

Incidentally tonight it has been reported that a second unrelated pandemic of Corona Virus has now started in Beijing and 100 people have been effected, again originating from another market.
Regarding Deckers i have been told some are complete and just need to be delivered
(16/06/2020 20:03)T42 PVM Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding Deckers i have been told some are complete and just need to be delivered

Thanks for that, wondered what had happened, seemed they where having to go back to loaning the Scania OmniDekka's originally used on schools from Atherton.
(16/06/2020 19:07)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]Forget the MCT emergency tenders.
Diamond successfully tendered to operate the 217 and at the time it was announced it was quoted they were very keen to pick up work in the Ashton/Oldham/Stockport areas.
One of my ex colleagues who’s now at Diamond reckons they are very keen to retain as much of the MCT work as possible but with 50 min dead runs to and from Bolton depot I would think there would be a reshuffle with more of Eccles work going up Bolton and Eccles running new work up this way.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/busi...expansion/

And was reported last year they had money to spend as has been backed by a bank.
(16/06/2020 20:15)gilesbus1 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for that, wondered what had happened, seemed they where having to go back to loaning the Scania OmniDekka's originally used on schools from Atherton.

A global pandemic happened, Wrightbus production was suspended.

The first new Rotala ordered Streetdecks (4 for Preston) are now only a few weeks away, followed by an initial batch of 12 for Bolton, then further batches of varying quantities due monthly right up to May 2021, totalling 130 new Streetdecks for Bolton.
(16/06/2020 19:07)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]Forget the MCT emergency tenders.
Diamond successfully tendered to operate the 217 and at the time it was announced it was quoted they were very keen to pick up work in the Ashton/Oldham/Stockport areas.
One of my ex colleagues who’s now at Diamond reckons they are very keen to retain as much of the MCT work as possible but with 50 min dead runs to and from Bolton depot I would think there would be a reshuffle with more of Eccles work going up Bolton and Eccles running new work up this way.
Winning the 217 wasn't necessarily them trying to expand into new areas on a proper scale. Rotala often seem to bid for all routes just in case. Even if you put in silly high figures because of the distance from the depot, Rotala might have been the only bidder or they just happened to be lower than those closer. High figures on the tender also means if you win, you might get a lot more profit from it even though you have the extra distance.

Diamond will want to keep some tenders if they can because it's work. What bus company doesn't want extra work. They will likely bid for all but some will be put in for at such high cost that they are unlikely to win. Whatever they keep from MCT though, they might be able to better manage among the depots they have to reduce the dead millage. Also, some of the night buses are easier to cover without the PVR increase.

We will have to wait and see and while I think they will retain MCT work, I believe it will be with the view of just winning a tender like they do in West Midlands rather than with a view of expanding the network (despite that being a consequence of the former, it's not a main aim) and taking over areas.
(17/06/2020 15:41)Winston Wrote: [ -> ]A global pandemic happened, Wrightbus production was suspended.

The first new Rotala ordered Streetdecks (4 for Preston) are now only a few weeks away, followed by an initial batch of 12 for Bolton, then further batches of varying quantities due monthly right up to May 2021, totalling 130 new Streetdecks for Bolton.

Im guessing the first batch of 12 StreetDecks arent far away from arriving at Bolton.
(18/06/2020 16:22)darylyates17 Wrote: [ -> ]Im guessing the first batch of 12 StreetDecks arent far away from arriving at Bolton.

Long overdue by the sounds of it. One of my former colleagues reckons Bolton are extremely short of buses, so short that they couldn’t organise a replacement bus for one that was broken down in Woodley (382) for over 2 hours and only then an Eccles bus that was straight off inspection was sent instead.
(18/06/2020 16:58)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]Long overdue by the sounds of it. One of my former colleagues reckons Bolton are extremely short of buses, so short that they couldn’t organise a replacement bus for one that was broken down in Woodley (382) for over 2 hours and only then an Eccles bus that was straight off inspection was sent instead.
That happens more then you think at most companies. Buses parked up waste money same as spare drivers. If they need buses there buses for hire. Even Stagecoach have to hire in
I must say I can't understand why Stagecoach find it worthwhile to hire from Ferrymill Motors, they must surely be able to cover any short term requirements internally.
Reference URL's