Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Diamond Bus North West
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(18/06/2020 18:44)mikestone Wrote: [ -> ]I must say I can't understand why Stagecoach find it worthwhile to hire from Ferrymill Motors, they must surely be able to cover any short term requirements internally.

They don’t hire the buses from Ferrymill. Ferrymill do most of Stagecoach’s accidental body work so when they take a bus for repairs they supply the depot the bus has come from with a ‘courtesy’ vehicle in its place. Given what stagecoach have in their reserve fleet means they rarely hire in - certainly in Manchester anyway.
Is it Bolton depot that are doing 382 and 44 at the moment because I know that since Sunday Enviro200s have been used on it.
The 130 deckers will be welcome I am sure, however it is unusual being in the middle of the Corona Virus and then having to hire vehicles from Preston Bus, surely this indicates that if they were at full service levels they simply wouldn't cope.

Of course the option is to transfer vehicles in that are redundant due to the suspension of schools, the earliest these would be needed are September therefore they would be deckers and put into service quickly, also the demise in airport work at Hallmark presumably might mean there are spare deckers there with no fixed return date being necessary, there are a few Scania OmniCity deckers and the Twin Volvo B9TL to the Bolton based bus based there. Preston of course is an option that could field a lot of deckers short term as schools are suspended and several of their deckers so I believe are confined to school work and therefore surely parked up, some even have Diamond North West fleetnames applied from when they were previously allocated here.

All that is cheap and simple to arrange, and I am surprised Rotala hasn't done this at this stage other than the transfer of the Volvo B9TL from Redditch and the loan of an East Lancs OmniDekka from Preston.

Really generally I am suprised that Rotala hasn't bought or leased more deckers in the past as Birmingham is a largely Urban area and surely deckers would be useful there, though I guess the fact that what was brought in from Diamond Bus (GoAhead), First Redditch and Kidderminster depots has a lot to do with this, as it was a saloon based fleet that was inherited and also the fact that many drivers possibly only have saloon entitlement on their licenses and the fact that deckers are more expensive to lease or buy and much of the Birmingham work was/is competitive.
(18/06/2020 21:09)Manchester Bus Journeys Wrote: [ -> ]Is it Bolton depot that are doing 382 and 44 at the moment because I know that since Sunday Enviro200s have been used on it.

Bolton are running 44 and 382 during day and 44, 197, 328/329 and 7’s evenings and sundays.
(18/06/2020 19:20)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]They don’t hire the buses from Ferrymill. Ferrymill do most of Stagecoach’s accidental body work so when they take a bus for repairs they supply the depot the bus has come from with a ‘courtesy’ vehicle in its place. Given what stagecoach have in their reserve fleet means they rarely hire in - certainly in Manchester anyway.
We used to hire in for megabus all the time. Snowdens used to be happy to rent without drivers also turners used to also. now you would think megabus could find a stagecoach express spare. at times they even ran deckers from megabus plus
(18/06/2020 21:59)gilesbus1 Wrote: [ -> ]The 130 deckers will be welcome I am sure, however it is unusual being in the middle of the Corona Virus and then having to hire vehicles from Preston Bus, surely this indicates that if they were at full service levels they simply wouldn't cope.

Of course the option is to transfer vehicles in that are redundant due to the suspension of schools, the earliest these would be needed are September therefore they would be deckers and put into service quickly, also the demise in airport work at Hallmark presumably might mean there are spare deckers there with no fixed return date being necessary, there are a few Scania OmniCity deckers and the Twin Volvo B9TL to the Bolton based bus based there. Preston of course is an option that could field a lot of deckers short term as schools are suspended and several of their deckers so I believe are confined to school work and therefore surely parked up, some even have Diamond North West fleetnames applied from when they were previously allocated here.

All that is cheap and simple to arrange, and I am surprised Rotala hasn't done this at this stage other than the transfer of the Volvo B9TL from Redditch and the loan of an East Lancs OmniDekka from Preston.

Really generally I am suprised that Rotala hasn't bought or leased more deckers in the past as Birmingham is a largely Urban area and surely deckers would be useful there, though I guess the fact that what was brought in from Diamond Bus (GoAhead), First Redditch and Kidderminster depots has a lot to do with this, as it was a saloon based fleet that was inherited and also the fact that many drivers possibly only have saloon entitlement on their licenses and the fact that deckers are more expensive to lease or buy and much of the Birmingham work was/is competitive.
if you have a psv you can drive any psv but they would be wise to type train.
(18/06/2020 21:59)gilesbus1 Wrote: [ -> ]The 130 deckers will be welcome I am sure, however it is unusual being in the middle of the Corona Virus and then having to hire vehicles from Preston Bus, surely this indicates that if they were at full service levels they simply wouldn't cope.

Two of the Hallmark ex London Scania N230UD OmniCitys, in all red, were parked at Bolton depot in May but i don't think used in service.
One of few not mothballed YJ60 KCE has joined the fleet as 20404.
(19/06/2020 18:00)ant17612 Wrote: [ -> ]One of few not mothballed YJ60 KCE has joined the fleet as 20404.

The ex Metroshuttle Solos seem to be coming back slowly around Greater Manchester Queens Road only kept the 1
(19/06/2020 19:05)darylyates17 Wrote: [ -> ]The ex Metroshuttle Solos seem to be coming back slowly around Greater Manchester Queens Road only kept the 1

Most are in storage at Stockport bus station pending disposal. This one was recently refurbished.
Reference URL's