Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Diamond Bus North West
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Citaro 33016 is currently operating out of Eccles depot.
It seems Goodwins are taking over a number Diamonds routes run by Eccles I wonder if Diamond are looking at giving up on Eccles in time to focus on Bolton some of the Eccles routes could probably be run by Bolton
(08/02/2021 19:46)darylyates17 Wrote: [ -> ]It seems Goodwins are taking over a number Diamonds routes run by Eccles I wonder if Diamond are looking at giving up on Eccles in time to focus on Bolton some of the Eccles routes could probably be run by Bolton

Before this announcement, Diamond had already said that they were closing/moving out of Eccles.
(08/02/2021 20:30)WhiteVanMan Wrote: [ -> ]Before this announcement, Diamond had already said that they were closing/moving out of Eccles.
Any source on that as all that I have seen is speculation about that, no official confirmation.

I think it's worth noting that only Goodwins have said what they have won. Diamond may have won tenders in other areas to make up for this.
(08/02/2021 20:37)iMarkeh Wrote: [ -> ]Any source on that as all that I have seen is speculation about that, no official confirmation.

I think it's worth noting that only Goodwins have said what they have won. Diamond may have won tenders in other areas to make up for this.

It’s speculation and the rumour has been doing that rounds for ages, but the truth is Eccles is somewhat more settled running wise than Bolton. I’d imagine they would look at maybe moving some work from Bolton to Eccles to balance the scales, plus a lot of these contracts going to a Goodwins are only 12 month contracts so potentially Diamond may want to retain Eccles for any future tender wins.

Must be a bit of a slap in the face for Diamond though. They acquired the bus side of GoGoodwins several years ago along with the Eccles yard and now they have snatched a lot of their work back off them. M
(08/02/2021 23:30)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]It’s speculation and the rumour has been doing that rounds for ages, but the truth is Eccles is somewhat more settled running wise than Bolton. I’d imagine they would look at maybe moving some work from Bolton to Eccles to balance the scales, plus a lot of these contracts going to a Goodwins are only 12 month contracts so potentially Diamond may want to retain Eccles for any future tender wins.

Must be a bit of a slap in the face for Diamond though. They acquired the bus side of GoGoodwins several years ago along with the Eccles yard and now they have snatched a lot of their work back off them. M
There may not need to be a lot moving as it depends on how much Diamond have won. I work out that they have lost around 8 buses worth of work.

Are Diamond still having driver shortages? Could this balance that out a little maybe?

As for your last comment, I do agree with you, a bit of a slap in the face for them but these sorts of things happen. Anti competition agreements only last so long from the buyout date and so this is the time up. I'm sure it has happened before whereby the person who got bought out then started up a new company a few years late doing the exact same thing once the shackles of no competition agreements are gone.
What makes them more Money with their resources. Bolton or Eccles. do you move the buses and drivers onto routes that make the best return? How many of the buses at Eccles are getting close to need replacement? just to do small route tenders
From what I know while Eccles have lost most of their work in Altrincham (apparently they've still got the evening tendered 247s) they've actually won 171/172 daytime tender from Stagecoach Manchester which is interesting since Maynes ceased trading its the first time an Independent has operated 171/172 routes.

Also to remember is that Eccles Depot will still have the North Manchester work round Pendleton and Eccles plus the Eccles-Prestwich service, also they've got the work round Leigh and Wigan plus 126/132/X22 Trafford Centre services and not forgetting 247 Ashton-Manchester service.
(09/02/2021 06:41)M60lad Wrote: [ -> ]From what I know while Eccles have lost most of their work in Altrincham (apparently they've still got the evening tendered 247s) they've actually won 171/172 daytime tender from Stagecoach Manchester which is interesting since Maynes ceased trading its the first time an Independent has operated 171/172 routes.

Also to remember is that Eccles Depot will still have the North Manchester work round Pendleton and Eccles plus the Eccles-Prestwich service, also they've got the work round Leigh and Wigan plus 126/132/X22 Trafford Centre services and not forgetting 247 Ashton-Manchester service.
Diamond is not a Independent mind it a PLC owed just like Stagecoach Manchester
(09/02/2021 01:42)iMarkeh Wrote: [ -> ]There may not need to be a lot moving as it depends on how much Diamond have won. I work out that they have lost around 8 buses worth of work.

Are Diamond still having driver shortages? Could this balance that out a little maybe?

As for your last comment, I do agree with you, a bit of a slap in the face for them but these sorts of things happen. Anti competition agreements only last so long from the buyout date and so this is the time up. I'm sure it has happened before whereby the person who got bought out then started up a new company a few years late doing the exact same thing once the shackles of no competition agreements are gone.

I don’t think they have won anything significantly to cushion the blow of the losses. They have retained the 217 and the 247 and possibly gained the 171/172 but I’d think it’s work they would rather have won on top of the tenders they have lost.

Bolton has and always has had driver shortages whereas Eccles has always done ok with drivers. It’s easy to say close Eccles and move what’s left to Bolton but I can’t see many of the drivers travelling that far so you loose more of your vital drivers.
Reference URL's