Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Northern (Arriva Rail North)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Manchester Victoria - Wigan shuttle yesterday was operated by a 319. I think it needs 2 units but as mine was the same both ways (319 380) I don't know which the other one was.

I rode unrefurbished 319 372 from Wigan North Western to Huyton. I was disappointed when later I saw a refurbished example about to do the same journey.

From what I could see, the MCV - Wigan local bus replacement was run by Blackpool Transport, and the MCV - Bolton service by Tyrer Buses.
The strike day timetables seem to see more reductions by the week. This Saturday (1st December), there is nothing over Chat Moss and only a bare bones Liverpool - St Helens Central service.
A single 156 on Wigan - Liverpools on Monday
(26/11/2018 23:46)St Helens Rider Wrote: [ -> ]The strike day timetables seem to see more reductions by the week. This Saturday (1st December), there is nothing over Chat Moss and only a bare bones Liverpool - St Helens Central service.

It now seems like this is a battle of wills now between Union and Management .

One thing is for certain will the passengers that have deserted Northern at the weekends ever come back especially the ones in the Merseyside and Manchester areas where there may be alternative local bus services .
Reportedly TfN have negiogated a change to the franchise agreement and want RMT to get back around the table. Problem is Northern have set a condition of postponing/calling off strikes in exchange for talks and RMT won't agree to that so talks won't happen until 2019.
Steve Rotheram wrote to Chris Grayling asking for Northern and TPE fares to be frozen in January due to performance issues. Grayling responded saying it would be 'almost impossible' to do and it would 'have consequences.'
(28/11/2018 11:20)wirralbus Wrote: [ -> ]It now seems like this is a battle of wills now between Union and Management .

One thing is for certain will the passengers that have deserted Northern at the weekends ever come back especially the ones in the Merseyside and Manchester areas where there may be alternative local bus services .

Can't speak for Merseyside, but I doubt the Strikes have made *that* much difference in GM. Obviously, the Media have played it up- like all Rail stories (DDA double-standards today) - but the fact is virtually nobody HAS to rely on Rail to get about, so to quote a song (title escapes me); "Its not the end of the World...its just a slight change of plan".
On the one hand, where subsidised Rail competes head on with commercial bus, off-peak rail fares are invariably cheaper than bus. OTOH, Irrelevant of Strikes, ARN (and Abellio before them) have had appalling punctuality on Saturdays for years - and if its not operational problems its endless engineering works/line incursions etc.
(29/11/2018 22:00)Brickmill Wrote: [ -> ]but the fact is virtually nobody HAS to rely on Rail to get about

If that's your fact where's your evidence? You need to prove every disabled person can do one of the following:
1. Get a lift
2. Get an accessible bus instead
3. Have funds to pay for a taxi
For EVERY essential journey they need to make.
January fares have been uploaded today. Looking at local Cheshire fares it seems increases to off-peak day returns start at 20p and are inconsistent while increases to anytime day returns increase between 20p (on a £6.70 fare) and 40p (on a £13.10 fare)
ITV National news featured Northwich as an inaccessible station when talking about rail accessibility: https://www.itv.com/news/2018-11-29/more...assengers/
Reference URL's