Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Northern (Arriva Rail North)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was on the Northern (or is it TPE) service from Manchester Airport to Blackpool the other day. I saw two passengers get charged penalty fares for using TPE only tickets on a Northern service by a guard in full TPE uniform. No wonder passengers get confused!
Some of the Airport to Blackpool and Cumbria services are operated by 185s loaned from TPE to Northern.
Pictures of the north west electrification if anyone is interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@...1069863633
Announced this morning electrics to Windermere not happening. MML and Cardiff-Swansea also off, but rather surprisingly no mention of TransPennine.
(20/07/2017 15:37)mikestone Wrote: [ -> ]Announced this morning electrics to Windermere not happening. MML and Cardiff-Swansea also off, but rather surprisingly no mention of TransPennine.

Oh well. At least there'll be some spare 331s for other parts of Northern's network...

Shame to see Cardiff-Swansea has been cancelled. Hopefully this doesn't impact on the proposed electrification of the Valley Lines
It actually sounds like the 331s will be fitted with batteries to 'prove' that the line doesn't need to be electrified. Grayling actually mentioned brand new trains using an 'alternative technology' from 2021.
(20/07/2017 15:37)mikestone Wrote: [ -> ]Announced this morning electrics to Windermere not happening. MML and Cardiff-Swansea also off, but rather surprisingly no mention of TransPennine.

I'll take that the class 769 will be on the Windermere service.
(20/07/2017 17:26)boby32 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll take that the class 769 will be on the Windermere service.

That is correct. It is in this article.

DfT scraps electrification schemes

https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2017/07/...hemes.html

Credit: Rail News.
Read the full article. 769s will be for 18 months only and the 18 month period expires before the previously scheduled electrification date. The plan to use 195s as a short term measure from Dec 2019 remains.
319374 returned to Allerton today from Wolverton in full Northern livery.
Reference URL's