Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Northern (Arriva Rail North)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
5 more days of strikes announced all on Saturdays - so they are striking every Saturday up to and including 15th Dec. The Christmas markets won't get their customers this year: https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-confirms...ern021118/
(02/11/2018 11:21)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]5 more days of strikes announced all on Saturdays - so they are striking every Saturday up to and including 15th Dec. The Christmas markets won't get their customers this year: https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-confirms...ern021118/

Actually stretches to 29th December.
(02/11/2018 11:57)St Helens Rider Wrote: [ -> ]Actually stretches to 29th December.

They've redone their news story. Less than an hour ago it was 5 strikes up to and including 15th December and they also circulated that information to their members as well, based on a post from a RMT member on another forum.
195103 195107 were on Edge Hill CS this morning
Northern have just released details of their tinetable alterations for this Sunday. These include reductions on Blackpool South - Colne, Manchester - Hazel Grove and Dalesrail but Liverpool - Wigan/Blackpool isn't affected. The Liverpool - Wigan line has had 2 trains per hour on a Sunday since the December timetable change last year but you can probably count on one hand the amount of Sundays this has actually happened.
It has been reported in the Telegraph that Arriva are in 'crisis talks' with the DFT regarding falling Passenger numbers on Northern. No surprises given the amount of cancellations/strikes and generally unreliable services over the last 12 months. Can't post link due to pay wall but the RMT have reacted to it on their website this morning.
I think it's fair to say, there is an easy way to solve the Saturday strikes.
Just saw the link should anyone want to see it, did not know things was that bad

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-demands-...ORuFUO7bEs
I suppose you don't think of it as bad till you put into perspective you are losing almost 2/7 of your passengers as the strikes give a vastly reduced service and Sunday driver shortage.

Then add on the normal cancellations (whether within or out of Northerns control). It all adds up. When you think of other TOCs like ATW, they increased their passenger numbers but their services were a lot better.
(05/11/2018 12:12)iMarkeh Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose you don't think of it as bad till you put into perspective you are losing almost 2/7 of your passengers as the strikes give a vastly reduced service and Sunday driver shortage.

Then add on the normal cancellations (whether within or out of Northerns control). It all adds up. When you think of other TOCs like ATW, they increased their passenger numbers but their services were a lot better.

I actually dropped my MP and E.Mail yesterday about the poor reliability of Northern Services and pointed blame at the Class 319s of which the first 2 between Wigan and Liverpool yesterday morning both picked up Train Faults and ran really late.
Reference URL's