Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Avon Buses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05/10/2018 09:20)T42 PVM Wrote: [ -> ]And if there is a Seperate Budget for Emergency Tenders then what about the long term?

Its worth noting that on some routes like the 22 Stagecoach tried it and it just did not work and thats one of their busiest routes.

As did Arriva as the 422 prior to Avon...

It’ll be very interesting to see what happens, I wonder if Arriva would take on the likes of the 16/17 as they run it on a Saturday and take on the evening 164, 492/495 as they’re pretty much their own services anyway

Does anyone else wonder if Stagecoach would take on their depot and a few routes to try and expand more in Wirral? They did manage to save Firsts routes
(05/10/2018 09:20)T42 PVM Wrote: [ -> ]And if there is a Seperate Budget for Emergency Tenders then what about the long term?

Its worth noting that on some routes like the 22 Stagecoach tried it and it just did not work and thats one of their busiest routes.

Long term the contracts will be either be scrapped or re-tendered to operators under a new contract.

Don't forget Avon will have put prices in to run these contracts so by ceasing to trade the contracts effectively get scrapped. Yes the amount of money paid to operators to run them on an emergency basis will be much greater than the money Avon will have got this is why Stagecoach normally jump at the chance to do them.
(05/10/2018 09:36)busdude Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone else wonder if Stagecoach would take on their depot and a few routes to try and expand more in Wirral? They did manage to save Firsts routes

I think if Stagecoach had any interest it would have been a done deal by now. Avon have had difficulties for a while and it's been well publicised so if Stagecoach had any interest they would have made a move and not waited till the company ceased trading.
(05/10/2018 09:57)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]I think if Stagecoach had any interest it would have been a done deal by now. Avon have had difficulties for a while and it's been well publicised so if Stagecoach had any interest they would have made a move and not waited till the company ceased trading.

Agreed. Whilst they might be interested in the services, they don't need the depot, and the only vehicles that might have appealed have already gone to Halton.
(05/10/2018 09:28)Conbus Wrote: [ -> ]Yes stagecoach tried this whilst avon was operating on the same route. So could be interesting to see stagecoach operate this by themselves. Very large loads recently on the 22 Chester side

Stagecoach are to start running a 22 commercial service next Monday. Some services will run as 22 and others as X22.
(05/10/2018 08:28)T42 PVM Wrote: [ -> ]This has now been posted on the Merseytravel Website: Avon Bus services. - Due to operational difficulties Avon Buses are not operating at this time. We are awaiting further updates from the operator.

https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/16963...e-trading/

Interesting they are pointing the finger of blame at Metro Mayor and Merseytravel for forcing them out-of-business by offering discounted travel without properly consulting operators. If that is the real problem could we about to see operators pack up in Greater Manchester as well?
Avon operated two commercial routes (Monday to Friday) in the south Sefton area, the 122 (Crosby-Aintree hospital) and the 144 (Netherton-Bootle via Seaforth).

Arriva's 63 duplicates the 122 for most of the route but during school days and peak times both services have standing loads. These routes served several large schools and I doubt the 63 will cope on its own with a 30-minute frequency.

The 144 is/was a standalone route with very little alternatives and is/was also often full at peak times. Currently, the evening/Sunday 144 service is subsidised and operated by an HTL minibus but this would be inadequate during daytime running.
(05/10/2018 09:57)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]I think if Stagecoach had any interest it would have been a done deal by now. Avon have had difficulties for a while and it's been well publicised so if Stagecoach had any interest they would have made a move and not waited till the company ceased trading.

I disagree. Like it or not, Stagecoach has a history of squeezing out smaller operators and then taking over the most lucrative assets -in this case the commercial routes - from the former failed operator. Why pay for something when you can get it for free?
(05/10/2018 10:49)Barney Wrote: [ -> ]Avon operated two commercial routes (Monday to Friday) in the south Sefton area, the 122 (Crosby-Aintree hospital) and the 144 (Netherton-Bootle via Seaforth).

Arriva's 63 duplicates the 122 for most of the route but during school days and peak times both services have standing loads. These routes served several large schools and I doubt the 63 will cope on its own with a 30-minute frequency.

The 144 is/was a standalone route with very little alternatives and is/was also often full at peak times. Currently, the evening/Sunday 144 service is subsidised and operated by an HTL minibus but this would be inadequate during daytime running.
Arriva have been running a 122 this morning. Seems like a strange choice to leave the 144 unserved considering the 122 is largely covered by the 63.
(05/10/2018 11:43)M113 YKC Wrote: [ -> ]Arriva have been running a 122 this morning. Seems like a strange choice to leave the 144 unserved considering the 122 is largely covered by the 63.

That's very interesting. The 63 and 122 run within five minutes of each other most of the day so Arriva will be competing with itself!

I suspect that as Arriva doesn't have suitable vehicles (short Darts) for the 144 that is why they aren't operating that route too. Perhaps an unloved long Solo might be transferred in.
Reference URL's