Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Avon Buses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The business model of commercial services that was once Merseytravel contracts , was one of the reasons the big groups Stagecoach and Arriva never really went nose to nose with them.

Think the MyTicket thing was just a smokescreen for something else and a way to get out of the industry by saying Merseytravel's ticket caused it .
155/SN55 DVF is preserved and was out and about turning some heads at the bus and tram show today.
Im resurecting this, is it know what happend to Avons fleet I presume most were scrapped?
2 years ago today Avon left us.
I wonder how much different the bus network map would look if they were still here now
(05/10/2020 00:33)N271CKB Wrote: [ -> ]2 years ago today Avon left us.
I wonder how much different the bus network map would look if they were still here now
Oh wow, is that it? It feels like much longer with how much things have changed.

I can't help but think though that if Avon was still going, Covid would have killed them off with how marginal some services were.
(06/10/2019 17:11)L401CJF Wrote: [ -> ]155/SN55 DVF is preserved and was out and about turning some heads at the bus and tram show today.

Its now being used in a series called "Park The Bus", where one person has to park a bus whilst the other has to score as many goals as possible before the driver of the bus parks the bus at the goal to stop the player from scoring. oddly enough it has been repainted into a London bus style paint job, however the fleet number on the driver window is still there.

According to DVLA however, the bus is SORN with tax due in November.

That is just a really weird concept!
Some four years ago this week Avon closed, and many routes lost
(07/10/2022 03:37)N271CKB Wrote: [ -> ]Some four years ago this week Avon closed, and many routes lost

Can’t belive it’s been so long. As you said, so many routes lost. Merseytravel must of saved a lot of money by Avon going bust. I imagine most of their services received a ‘top up’ subsidy.

Woodchurch’s link to Arrowe Park was only restored last month.

Noctorum no longer has a link to Arrowe Park (though the daytime link was severed before Avon’s demise in September 2017)

Heswall no longer has a link to Clatterbridge Hospital or Bromborough

No longer a service between Heswall and West Kirby evenings and Sundays

Town Lane and Kings Lane in Bebington still do not have a service

164 was never replaced (therefore halving evening bus frequency in Higher Bebington)

124/125 were also lost and not replaced

492/495 have a pitiful evening and Sunday service now, when before Avon’s demise this was fully subsidised and offered a combined 2-per hour service.

Prenton Dell lost a direct service to Birkenhead (technically the 418 offers this but via a 40 minute detour taking in Arrowe Park, Beechwood and the north end)

So, so many gaps. It’s sad to see
Reference URL's