Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Avon Buses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is getting worse not better, Why is it taking Merseytravel so long to act!
The Avon buses I have seen today have has very few if not any passengers on, surely they need to sort there act and very quick
(26/06/2017 15:08)Jw88 Wrote: [ -> ]From Merseytravel Avon Buses Services That Are Canceled Today

18:15 10A New Brighton - Arrowe Park Hospital

18:39 144 Bootle - Netherton

18:45 293 West Kirby - Woodside

19:00 10A Arrowe Park Hospital - New Brighton

19:06 144 Netherton - Bootle

19:20 88 Heswall - West Kirby

19:38 293 Woodside - West Kirby

19:39 144 Bootle - Netherton

19:45 293 West Kirby - Woodside

20:06 144 Netherton - Bootle

20:11 492 Woodside - Noctourm Circular

20:28 88 West Kirby - Neston Cross

20:38 293 Woodside - West Kirby

20:39 144 Bootle - Netherton

20:45 293 West Kirby - Woodside

21:06 144 Netherton - Bootle

21:08 88 Neston Cross - West Kirby

21:11 492 Woodside - Noctourm Circular

21:28 88 West Kirby - Neston Cross

21:39 144 Bootle - Netherton

21:45 293 West Kirby - Woodside

22:06 144 Netherton - Bootle

22:08 88 Neston Cross - West Kirby

22:11 492 Woodside - Noctourm Circular

22:38 293 Woodside - West Kirby

22:39 144 Bootle - Netherton

22:45 293 West Kirby - Woodside

23:06 144 Netherton - Bootle

23:11 492 Woodside - Noctourm Circular

23:28 88 West Kirby - Heswall

The solution is simple: give these contracts to operators who can run them. Now.
I see yet more extensive cancellations again listed on the Merseytravel Website today. All evening services, affecting both commerical and part funded services. How on earth they have managed to register more services from the 23rd of July is beyond me. They will be running the 30, 164 & 165 in addition from 23rd July.
the other services was registered before services started to drop, its good they lose the 883 on that date otherwise it would of been even worse
Its a shame as they are a good local operator but they are losing customers left right and centre, when that happens it's hard to get the confidence back. Surely they could arrange a temporary provider for their tendered work
(27/06/2017 11:41)WAITING FOR THE 437 Wrote: [ -> ]Its a shame as they are a good local operator but they are losing customers left right and centre, when that happens it's hard to get the confidence back. Surely they could arrange a temporary provider for their tendered work

I really don't know how it can be claimed that "they are a good local operator" if Avon is consistently unable to provide bus services that are being funded by tax payers as, in any other situation, this would be considered fraud. Having waited for several of these services that failed to run I have very little sympathy with Avon and I'm sure that I am not alone.

Without having any inside knowledge, I suspect that it won't be long before Avon goes the way of so many other small independent operators in recent years. The heady days of bus deregulation are well behind us and I foresee only two operators providing bus services on Merseyside by the end of this decade.
I agree with what you said. Just think it's a shame they took too much work on. Not enough drivers and not enough good quality buses
(27/06/2017 13:27)Barney Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't know how it can be claimed that "they are a good local operator" if Avon is consistently unable to provide bus services that are being funded by tax payers as, in any other situation, this would be considered fraud. Having waited for several of these services that failed to run I have very little sympathy with Avon and I'm sure that I am not alone.

Without having any inside knowledge, I suspect that it won't be long before Avon goes the way of so many other small independent operators in recent years. The heady days of bus deregulation are well behind us and I foresee only two operators providing bus services on Merseyside by the end of this decade.

Operators do lose money when they drop contracted journeys as this has been mentioned by Merseytravel when I have complained in the past about contracted journeys not turning up.

The problem, if Avon did disappear, Merseytravel would struggle as a lot of Avon's commercial work are former contracts which I can't see others being willing to run.
The problem that Avon had is the movement of staff to other bus companies in this case a few members of staff jumped ship to Stagecoach.

In this case im sure Avon would be more than willing to withdraw a route or two to make themselves look so more reliable , but the service registration / withdrawal procedure kills so many companies off .

I myself dont want to lose another bus company.

Im sure Merseytravel do not want just two companies either because that just inflates the price of any contracted work and in the end who loses out us the travelling public.
Reference URL's