Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: MP Travel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08/10/2020 13:41)Nwales Bus Wrote: [ -> ]MP Travel have just announced that they are to operate the X1 Runcorn - Liverpool service on behalf of Arriva from Monday 19th of October

What's the reason for this?
(08/10/2020 14:46)AlexBus12 Wrote: [ -> ]What's the reason for this?

Staff shortages due to sickness I believe.
(08/10/2020 14:43)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]Presumably that'll mean Arriva tickets both accepted and issued on the buses.

Yes that is correct.
(08/10/2020 16:30)motormayhem1 Wrote: [ -> ]Staff shortages due to sickness I believe.

Has to be more to this as they could sub hire in Drivers.
(08/10/2020 22:55)Mrboo Wrote: [ -> ]Has to be more to this as they could sub hire in Drivers.
From where? Arriva have already cut back on services in St Helens and Bootle depots to cope with the driver shortage and the X1 is now sub contracted. I can't see Arriva doing all this if they could loan drivers in.
Very few big group depots have available staff. Most are short. That's why so much of the school dupes are being ran now be independants, coach divisions of the big groups or one or two depots who have plenty of staff.

The recruitment stopped for months don't forget so you probably had some of the normal staff turnover while not hiring anyone. You've then got people off self isolating. I don't think many depots are comfortable right now staff wise.
(09/10/2020 08:01)iMarkeh Wrote: [ -> ]From where? Arriva have already cut back on services in St Helens and Bootle depots to cope with the driver shortage and the X1 is now sub contracted. I can't see Arriva doing all this if they could loan drivers in.
Very few big group depots have available staff. Most are short. That's why so much of the school dupes are being ran now be independants, coach divisions of the big groups or one or two depots who have plenty of staff.

The recruitment stopped for months don't forget so you probably had some of the normal staff turnover while not hiring anyone. You've then got people off self isolating. I don't think many depots are comfortable right now staff wise.

In most cases head offices hundreds of miles away have put the brakes on any recruitment because of the pandemic and that’s where the issue lies. It’s a very weird situation at the moment. There’s plenty of drivers looking for work but companies big and small are reluctant to take on incase of another full on lockdown which could potentially see service levels dropping again, hence why it’s easier to sub the work out and let someone else worry about finding the staff.
Arriva have recently took on drivers in the North West, I know of a few who have gone to Bootle and Runcorn respectively but it's not massive numbers really.
There was an advert on ANW facebook page for St Helens depot for drivers the other day too.
Unless additions are due I can't see how MP can operate this with the eVoRa and what I believe is only one of 3 ex Avon MCV's being roadworthy? The mini MMC is not suitable surely and I highly doubt they'll use the Howards liveried B10... Be interesting to see what turns up on the first day. I doubt authorities would let them use coaches on it either and we all know deckers are not suitable for the route. MP have good ties with EYMS so maybe some of their Volvo MCV's may be loaned in perhaps.
(09/10/2020 15:03)ant17612 Wrote: [ -> ]Unless additions are due I can't see how MP can operate this with the eVoRa and what I believe is only one of 3 ex Avon MCV's being roadworthy? The mini MMC is not suitable surely and I highly doubt they'll use the Howards liveried B10... Be interesting to see what turns up on the first day. I doubt authorities would let them use coaches on it either and we all know deckers are not suitable for the route. MP have good ties with EYMS so maybe some of their Volvo MCV's may be loaned in perhaps.

The easy solution might be to "hire" buses from Arriva.........
Reference URL's