Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: MP Travel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(09/03/2022 03:53)Mrboo Wrote: [ -> ]Wrong or every coach driver would be doing service work as pays more or the smaller coach firms would never find any staff as can't offer what some of the big groups offer paywise/perks. if the better paid firms was not having issues with drivers how come they have driving schools and have pr drives for new staff as am sure they would have a waiting list of drivers from lower paid companies? No driver is going to put up with low pay and sh*t management and routes so £1000 welcome bonuses are more down to sucking in new drivers who are not wise to depot issues.

Service and coach drivers are two complete different entities. I know plenty of strictly coach drivers who turned to service work during covid, some have gone back to coaching but many have stayed and are reaping the benefits.
Companies train drivers for two reasons, firstly the training is paid for government and is a tax expense and secondly it’s cheaper to have a new driver on the books than an experienced PCV driver. Many of the big companies pay trainee/new drivers around £2.50 less an hour for the first 2 years.

I started at a small company on sh#t money and loved it and the jump to a big company was an eye opener. People work at small companies for lots of reasons, mainly because they can’t get work with the big boys, and you’ll actually find most drivers in the industry know what it’s like to work at each company or depot - because we all talk.
(08/03/2022 15:20)mptravel Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe we would look at pay if we actually earned it from the service or paid for what work is being done.

Recently we have lost several drivers, the service hasn't picked up and in actual fact, the buses have not gained any revenue going to an hourly timetable to when it was this timetable.
Before I comment, can I ask do you mean 'the service hasn't picked up' going hourly prior to the driver issues or do you mean 21st Feb - 2nd March. Of course very different replies depending on which period you are referring to.
It’s a shame since I’ve really liked MP running the service - nice, clean, modern vehicles and friendly drivers. But as mentioned in the past, there’s only so much loss you can take before it’s just simply not viable, even if the willpower exists to keep it on.

Does beg the question if WOB are still willing to run it commercially however. If they’re still running the 62, albeit to an irregular timetable, then surely it’s possible they’ll at least consider it.
I'm not to sure about WOB to be honest as due to current driver problems their still only running 62 Mon-Fri with Selwyns running it on Saturdays so I can't see them taking on X1 unless they will only run it Mon-Fri for the time being.
Express buses are always going to be hard to make pay apart from peak. the service need to be interworked with other routes to work as then you can get it to a clock face timetable. if Arriva don't want it that was a sign.
(12/03/2022 21:48)Mrboo Wrote: [ -> ]if Arriva don't want it that was a sign.

Don't tell D&G Bus then. Most of their Cheshire are either routes Arriva didn't want or routes Arriva lost in the tendering process.
(13/03/2022 11:02)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]Don't tell D&G Bus then. Most of their Cheshire are either routes Arriva didn't want or routes Arriva lost in the tendering process.
(13/03/2022 11:02)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]Don't tell D&G Bus then. Most of their Cheshire are either routes Arriva didn't want or routes Arriva lost in the tendering process.
Why would they think of the dead mileage at the start and finish each day around 15 miles each way from Northwich,
plus they are giving up some tenders around Norhwich
The message above from MP says it's down to drivers, not viability.
(13/03/2022 19:06)trixmax2000 Wrote: [ -> ]Why would they think of the dead mileage at the start and finish each day around 15 miles each way from Northwich,
plus they are giving up some tenders around Norhwich

The Northwich Sunday locals is one tender. I don't think Cheshire West has revealed who has won the new contract yet.

Arriva could run a 130 from Macclesfield to Wythenshawe contract without dead mileage, with a depot at Wythenshawe and an outstation at Wythenshawe. But D&G run the contract for a partial replacement for an Arriva route.
Reference URL's