Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: MP Travel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any possibility that MPT will go/has gone for the Merseytravel contract on the X1? Given the strict requirements it’s very demanding if independents wanted to go for it, as the fleet could easily be required elsewhere if they’re called on for Rail Replacement.

Using the same PVR of 4, MP20, G15 and G16 would be fine as they meet requirements, as would W17 (just), although that’s questionable as it could reach 15 years old mid contract (assuming it’s extended), unless another vehicle can be brought in.

MP68 is definitely a no-go, as there’s no way it can hold 70 people in a perfect world. Pragmatically, it would be fine to use at the moment given the national lockdown, but the same tender restrictions still apply unfortunately.

Although they’ve been great at running the route so far, Arriva have been more lenient in vehicle requirements.
(05/01/2021 22:29)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any possibility that MPT will go/has gone for the Merseytravel contract on the X1? Given the strict requirements it’s very demanding if independents wanted to go for it, as the fleet could easily be required elsewhere if they’re called on for Rail Replacement.

Using the same PVR of 4, MP20, G15 and G16 would be fine as they meet requirements, as would W17 (just), although that’s questionable as it could reach 15 years old mid contract (assuming it’s extended), unless another vehicle can be brought in.

MP68 is definitely a no-go, as there’s no way it can hold 70 people in a perfect world. Pragmatically, it would be fine to use at the moment given the national lockdown, but the same tender restrictions still apply unfortunately.

Although they’ve been great at running the route so far, Arriva have been more lenient in vehicle requirements.

I would hope so, considering the good performance to date and a good pool of dedicated drivers.
Although the MMC falls outside the capacity criteria, sourcing another Lothian Eclipse ? is hardly difficult. It's only a short term contract and it would be foolish of Merseytravel not to allow some flexibility in the current ever changing situation when there's an operator already getting on with it, without issue.
(06/01/2021 08:56)KXW212 Wrote: [ -> ]I would hope so, considering the good performance to date and a good pool of dedicated drivers.
Although the MMC falls outside the capacity criteria, sourcing another Lothian Eclipse ? is hardly difficult. It's only a short term contract and it would be foolish of Merseytravel not to allow some flexibility in the current ever changing situation when there's an operator already getting on with it, without issue.

That’s true, the Eclipses are nice motors, especially as they’re ex-Lothian.

There should definitely be some flexibility or at least an exception for MPT as they’ve been great in my experience, rarely late.
Bussy galore has received updated megabus livery
(06/01/2021 08:56)KXW212 Wrote: [ -> ]I would hope so, considering the good performance to date and a good pool of dedicated drivers.
Based on my personal experiences, I wouldn't go that far. Based purely on my experiences, 2 of the drivers weren't the best. I will say no more on the open thread as I don't want arguements but I think 'good pool of dedicated drivers' is very different to what I would be saying.

if I take away the bad experiences that I had and look at it more widely, I think while MP had done decent so far with regards to the running of the services and the buses are certainly very good and if it's something that MP can fulfil, it's certainly something open to them. I think it's worth noting that Merseytravels budget is tighter than Arrivas (bearing in mind it was done to cover driver shortages). MP does have 2 huge advantages though (if they put in for the tender), is that they are close to the route and they are at the right end of the route for dead millage and the bridge. Only Arriva can compete with those 2 points.
It depends on if any alternative bids go in as possibly another operator has something up their sleeve. We don't know. I don't think anyone can call it until Merseytravel confirm it purely because there are a few potential operators on this timetable and even more possibilities with an alternative bid.
(06/01/2021 17:33)iMarkeh Wrote: [ -> ]is that they are close to the route and they are at the right end of the route for dead millage and the bridge. Only Arriva can compete with those 2 points.

Do Anthony's Travel still operate some bus routes? I'm not saying they'd be interested or that they have or could acquire suitable vehicles but they are Runcorn based.
(06/01/2021 17:33)iMarkeh Wrote: [ -> ]Based on my personal experiences, I wouldn't go that far. Based purely on my experiences, 2 of the drivers weren't the best. I will say no more on the open thread as I don't want arguements but I think 'good pool of dedicated drivers' is very different to what I would be saying.

if I take away the bad experiences that I had and look at it more widely, I think while MP had done decent so far with regards to the running of the services and the buses are certainly very good and if it's something that MP can fulfil, it's certainly something open to them. I think it's worth noting that Merseytravels budget is tighter than Arrivas (bearing in mind it was done to cover driver shortages). MP does have 2 huge advantages though (if they put in for the tender), is that they are close to the route and they are at the right end of the route for dead millage and the bridge. Only Arriva can compete with those 2 points.
It depends on if any alternative bids go in as possibly another operator has something up their sleeve. We don't know. I don't think anyone can call it until Merseytravel confirm it purely because there are a few potential operators on this timetable and even more possibilities with an alternative bid.

Can we stick with fleet and route news as members have been asked to please?
(06/01/2021 17:56)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]Do Anthony's Travel still operate some bus routes? I'm not saying they'd be interested or that they have or could acquire suitable vehicles but they are Runcorn based.

Apparently so

https://www.anthonys-travel.co.uk/enquir...imetables/
(06/01/2021 08:56)KXW212 Wrote: [ -> ]Although the MMC falls outside the capacity criteria, sourcing another Lothian Eclipse ? is hardly difficult. It's only a short term contract and it would be foolish of Merseytravel not to allow some flexibility in the current ever changing situation when there's an operator already getting on with it, without issue.

If the contract is to start at short notice some short term flexibility would make sense. When GHA collapsed and Cheshire East had to get replacement operators ASAP they pretty much let any operator with available buses and drivers operate routes in the short term but when it got to awarding new proper contracts conditions were more strict. For instance, for the 289 Howards told Cheshire East they had a bus and drivers available straight away so Cheshire East effectively told them you can running the route tomorrow. However, for the proper contract they wanted a regular vehicle to be under 5 years old and for it to be big enough to be used on the 188 school run as well, hence the 37 seater Metrocity.
(05/01/2021 22:29)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any possibility that MPT will go/has gone for the Merseytravel contract on the X1? Given the strict requirements it’s very demanding if independents wanted to go for it, as the fleet could easily be required elsewhere if they’re called on for Rail Replacement.

It really easy you lease 4 buses just for this route or buy 4 buses that same type. a call to ensignbus would sort it
https://www.ensignbus.com/single-deckers.html
Reference URL's