Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: MP Travel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06/12/2020 22:48)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing needs sorting. The regular service is still running with the regular vehicles as per the contract/registration. They are effectively running additional vehicles as ‘dupes’ and are selling a £10 daysaver type ticket to run on both the regular and dupe buses. Only issue is if a regular passenger try’s to get on one of the dupe buses with a reg ticket??

Ah right yeah, makes sense
(06/12/2020 22:48)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing needs sorting. The regular service is still running with the regular vehicles as per the contract/registration. They are effectively running additional vehicles as ‘dupes’ and are selling a £10 daysaver type ticket to run on both the regular and dupe buses. Only issue is if a regular passenger try’s to get on one of the dupe buses with a reg ticket??
I think things will need to be agreed with the people mentioned by Liam. The regular buses wont be the issue, it will only be the dupes that agreements may be needed for. Details will all be behind closed doors though and I trust MP will have sorted things. They aren't daft.

I do agree with you on the ticket issue though, it's a bit confusing.

Whether it is already done or yet to be done, we don't know and it's non of our business, some agreements will be needed though foe example
Merseytravel if they want to stop in L1 bus station. Merseytravel like to be in control of buses stopping in the bus station and especially non standard buses. L1 is busy as it is and the extra buses could clog up the bus station with all the buses waiting for stands (I know Merseytravel are strict on buses using other stands as well). Should be easy to sort though as Merseytravel seem supportive of this stuff but they will want to know it's happening so they can put things in place and keep staff informed.

Agreement with Arriva would likely be needed as it could be revenue extraction and could have some very unhappy Arriva passengers if they get on the dupe, not the normal bus and find out the price difference. When you have a contract in place with them to run the service, the last thing you want to do is annoy them and effectively bite the hand that feeds you. Given Arrivas charitable nature locally, I can see them being fine with it.

Halton Council may agree to waive the toll fees as it's for charity and it's a local bus route (strictly speaking, only the number of buses registered to go over the toll bridge should be toll free so a conversation might be wanted there to get toll help or confirm what is going on so that tolls aren't charged). I don't think they will care about Halton Lea or the busway to be fair since they haven't cared about it for the past god knows how many years so I would be surprised if they cared now.
(07/12/2020 10:30)thomasl1231 Wrote: [ -> ]You seem to have substantial amounts of time on your hands - do you have nothing better to do than stir the pot with MP Travel and Howards?

You seem to be taking offence to people pointing out there could be issues with what MP Travel have advertised, before they've actually undertaken it. Do you remember the Blackpool Illuminations tour which Catch 22 operated and got reprimanded by the TC for? There seem to be some similarities with what has been proposed as the heritage X1 and that service. However, as explained already the wording of the Facebook post is very poor so it may be misleading. The owner of MP Travel does read this forum, so he does have the option of responding to concerns or revising his Facebook post based on feedback.

I don't have experience of running a bus company but I do have experience of ensuring digital communications are accurate and legally compliant. Yes I also do have spare time on my hands, if you haven't noticed there's been a global pandemic and many people have lost their jobs because of it and there's very few new jobs to apply for. There's also very little to do leisure wise when there's restrictions related to COVID in place.

I don't know why you bought Howards in to this, as far as I know they aren't running any services and don't have a operating licence.
(06/12/2020 20:23)ant17612 Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly it would be more ideal to do something when the situation is vastly improved. A donation shouldn't be a set amount that's what I can't understand. You may get one person who wants to put £5 in and another who wants to put £20 in. You can't just make it up to suit everyone...

You can suggest a donation level but then it's up to the donor to decide whether they can/want to donate the suggested amount or more or less. I would say there should be two suggested levels - one for average Joe who wants to make a return trip to Liverpool and one for the bus enthusiasts who want to spend all day riding buses.

Also what are the heritage vehicles planned? I can't see a Leyland decker from 1984 appealing to average Joe but a novelty bus or a real vintage bus might.
(06/12/2020 22:28)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]Reading the info on MP’s page it sounds like it’s been extended as they will be running a normal service with the regular buses and Duping every trip with an additional historic bus. Normal fares (including Arriva tickets) are valid on the regular service with the £10 day ticket avaibke if you want to ride both the modern and historic buses. It says you can pay on the day cash or contactless or in advance with a smart card. Any money raised from the £10 day tickets going to the charity.

Not sure why it's been deleted but I posted earlier that the Facebook post is poorly worded and it doesn't clarify whether all of the money will go to the charity or just their profits. Their post actually states the tickets will go to charity, not money from the tickets!
ADMIN NOTE

Can we please all remember this site is for fleet news etc, so can we please all stop the posts about exactly how this running day is donating to charity.
(07/12/2020 12:04)buses7675 Wrote: [ -> ]ADMIN NOTE

Can we please all remember this site is for fleet news etc, so can we please all stop the posts about exactly how this running day is donating to charity.

Thanks for this...

Time for my two penneth in...

On 2nd Jan, there will be MP Travel running DDA vehicles on the X1 as per normal. In addition to this is what we are doing for charity.

There will be some older vehicles on, duping the service buses. We have agreed for using the older vehicles, we are charging £2 single or £10 for using them all day.

All buses, as normal would adhere to social distancing and we have also stated that everybody respects their tier rules. Liverpool is currently tier 2. Should this change to 3 prior to Jan then we would obviously review what is happening.

It has been discussed with all authorities required and permission has been granted. All fares taken on the vintage buses will be donated. So yes, I am running this at a cost to myself, but thats my business, and frankly none of yours.

I have never seen such silly comments on a forum in my life with regards someone trying to do something productive not only for a charity but gives some local enthusiasts something to look forward to after the year we have had.

If anyone has any further questions, that you think need answering which are relevant feel free to DM me, if its cause you wish to be a nosey busy body and not attending, then I would recommend just well not messaging and forget its happening.
(06/12/2020 19:57)Raawwwrrr! Wrote: [ -> ]Plus you can operate a non-DDA bus a select amount of days per year on a public bus service, and that applies to the individual bus and not the route. (If my memory is correct the amount is 12 days?)

This is how some operators such as Warrington’s Own use their classic vehicles for special occasions like Christmas

It is 20 days providing the vehicle is over 20 years old.

hope this helps clarify for you.
(07/12/2020 12:33)mptravel Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for this...

On 2nd Jan, there will be MP Travel running DDA vehicles on the X1 as per normal. In addition to this is what we are doing for charity.

There will be some older vehicles on, duping the service buses. We have agreed for using the older vehicles, we are charging £2 single or £10 for using them all day.

All buses, as normal would adhere to social distancing and we have also stated that everybody respects their tier rules. Liverpool is currently tier 2. Should this change to 3 prior to Jan then we would obviously review what is happening.

It has been discussed with all authorities required and permission has been granted. All fares taken on the vintage buses will be donated. So yes, I am running this at a cost to myself, but thats my business, and frankly none of yours.

I have never seen such silly comments on a forum in my life with regards someone trying to do something productive not only for a charity but gives some local enthusiasts something to look forward to after the year we have had.

If anyone has any further questions, that you think need answering which are relevant feel free to DM me, if its cause you wish to be a nosey busy body and not attending, then I would recommend just well not messaging and forget its happening.

Just a quick question, I thought the X1 went back to Arriva operation from the 1st Jan, i assume that is not correct and MP will continue to operate this service?
(07/12/2020 12:33)mptravel Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for this...

Thanks for clearing this up. I fully believe your intentions are good ones and have no fault towards the idea. I just feel the timing is not the best and it could easily attract people to the area that shouldn't be there. If their are ways to help the cause without attending I'm up for that. Or being able to attend something similar post pandemic (fingers crossed) ie the Saturday before the NWVRT event.
Reference URL's