Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Howards/Springfield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03/08/2016 08:24)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]Some homeowners got just £500 compensation (after a lengthy battle) in exchange for very low aircraft flying overhead from 6am to 10pm (and all night whenever the airport declares 'essential' maintenance works are required.
That's not quite true. The operational hours for the second runway are 8 hours a day from 06.30 - 10.30 and 16.00 - 20.00. The only time this changes is, as you say, when overnight maintenance is required on the main runway which certainly will be 'essential' considering how heavily used it is. Even then though, overnight arrivals are deliberately limited and not in any sort of influx.

As another side point, the direction aircraft arrive into any runway is dictated by the wind (you would want to land into a headwind) and so for some of the time, wind direction means that aircraft will follow a completely different routing into the airport and thus, those aforementioned inconvenienced residents find themselves not inconvenienced in the slightest.
(03/08/2016 09:05)CX54 DKD Wrote: [ -> ]That's not quite true. The operational hours for the second runway are 8 hours a day from 06.30 - 10.30 and 16.00 - 20.00. The only time this changes is, as you say, when overnight maintenance is required on the main runway which certainly will be 'essential' considering how heavily used it is. Even then though, overnight arrivals are deliberately limited and not in any sort of influx.

Official Airport information:

Manchester Airport Wrote:Manchester Airport has operated on a 24-hour basis since the 1950s. Planning
permission for Runway 2 (23L/05R) permits use of both runways between the hours
of 0600 - 2200. At night between the hours of 2200 - 0600 we usually* revert to
single runway operations based on Runway 1 (23R/05L).

In practice we only operate both runways when we require the capacity to meet the
high airline/public demand to arrive and depart aircraft. At present we use both
runways in the morning and then again in the later afternoon and evening. We return
to single runway operations based upon Runway 1 (23R/05L)* at other times.
Predicted growth over coming years will require greater use of dual runway
operations and so the hours of operation will change.
*(Exceptions would be during emergency or planned maintenance).

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1...0Sheet.pdf

According to the MEN those 'usual operating hours' you quoted were extended in 2014: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/n...ay-6984243 Of course it's not sensible to plan to have a flight arriving at 21:55 land on Runway 2 in case it gets delayed or arrives early but there are often flights not running to schedule which land on runway 2 outside the planned operating hours.

Quote:As another side point, the direction aircraft arrive into any runway is dictated by the wind (you would want to land into a headwind) and so for some of the time, wind direction means that aircraft will follow a completely different routing into the airport and thus, those aforementioned inconvenienced residents find themselves not inconvenienced in the slightest.

Runway 2 has allowed a significant increase to the volume of flights going in to Manchester Airport. For people who live in places such as Knutsford you have flights flying over regardless, the difference is if the flight is using runway 1 you can have a conversation on your mobile outside and the person at the other end will hear the plane, if the plane is using runway 2 the person at the other end can't hear you over the plane. Having more flights using runway 1 still means you hear more aircraft noise than pre-runway 2 even when the wind is in a favourable direction.
(03/08/2016 19:44)Dentonian Wrote: [ -> ]Don't want to spend too much bandwidth on this as it is wildly off topic, but it was a particularly well heeled and vociferous village that featured in the media at the time. Very much the sort of people with business and family links to the South East, so very happy to see Heathrow/Gatwick continue to dominate. I would argue that Manchester Airport is the biggest weapon we have against London totally dominating this country's economy and prosperity. I also note that even now, there are no scheduled departures between midnight and 0530 - or wouldn't be but for the accident at Dubai this morning. Since the 2nd runway opened 15 years ago, aircraft noise has diminished with first generation 737s, MD80s etc all but extinct. Besides, don't they have boy racers with silencers removed from exhausts; all night parties etc etc in leafy Cheshire?

Oh dear! I await the day of the police arresting all the pilots who land flights on runway 2 since you're comparing regular flights to illegal activities carried out by a minority. If an all night party makes a fraction of the noise of even an Airbus A319 landing on runway 2 overnight while the Airport close runway 1 for 'essential' work the police can take action. It's funny how you think a village which can get up to 20 people an hour using the existing bus and train services are all posh Rolls Royce drivers who use Heathrow Airport - how do they get to Heathrow - maybe a flight from Manchester?

Since you object so much to a cost neutral suggestion of giving Knutsford, Mobberley and Morley Green a service to the Airport how about a much more costly idea of starting a new service similar to the 200 route which does a route like Knutsford to Tatton Park (Rostherne entrance) to Rostherne Village to the Airport? Given Cheshire East won't have the money for that I take it you'll be happy to push for TfGM to fund it.
Noted on the 200 today was MX62GNJ and due out tomorrow on the 289 I believe is MK63 GAC. I don't think the roadworks in Wilmslow are helping with the timetable issues on the 200 this week.
(04/08/2016 19:41)Dentonian Wrote: [ -> ]Even before the cuts bit, we rang GMP a few years ago, when a house party spilled over into the street with aggresive arguments, bottles being thrown, and about 18 people seemed to be congregating around our gate. We were given short shrift by the Police, as it was a "trivial" incident.

Regardless of cuts police are very reluctant to deal with any kind of house party whether it be excessive noise or drunken arguments in the street. They see it as a 'local aurthority issue' best dealt with by the local council.
I think the term generally used is 'passing the buck'.
The H Man - Used both you're 48/289 services last week & very impressed with the operations thus far.

Very smartly turned out buses that were absolutely immaculate both inside & out, the 48 ran like clockwork & seems to be attracting decent number of passengers. 289 was good also, think the drivers found some of the back roads rather tight getting round though!!! 1 thing to ask, which is a minor point really, do howards drivers have uniforms or is it just turn up looking smart???

No prob with it just not very often these days bus companies don't have a uniform.
(04/08/2016 19:41)Dentonian Wrote: [ -> ]I withdraw my comments about Mobberley in general. My excuse will be that money talks, and the less well healed stay silent. However, I did NOT object to the 88 diversion per se, I just thought that as an commuter market had been established into Altrincham, any kind of diversion would detract from it - and its hardly cost neutral if an extra bus has to be put in the cycle anyway. I merely suggested another alternative.
As for the Police taking action against all night parties, I can only assume that Cheshire Constabulary does not face the same funding problems as ECCC's transport unit - nor indeed GMP. Even before the cuts bit, we rang GMP a few years ago, when a house party spilled over into the street with aggresive arguments, bottles being thrown, and about 18 people seemed to be congregating around our gate. We were given short shrift by the Police, as it was a "trivial" incident.

You keep dragging this thread more and more off-topic. I said the police can take action, I didn't say I'm aware of such incidents happening in Cheshire and Cheshire police take action.

As for commuter markets - the 88 will go past the new Amazon distribution centre when it opens so there could be the option of more than 2 services per hour at peak times between Wilmslow and Altrincham. It seems the extra passengers as a result of the Waters Corporation development at peak times already more than exceeds the extra seats provided by the enhanced frequency.
(05/08/2016 09:00)33109 Wrote: [ -> ]The H Man - Used both you're 48/289 services last week & very impressed with the operations thus far.

Very smartly turned out buses that were absolutely immaculate both inside & out, the 48 ran like clockwork & seems to be attracting decent number of passengers. 289 was good also, think the drivers found some of the back roads rather tight getting round though!!! 1 thing to ask, which is a minor point really, do howards drivers have uniforms or is it just turn up looking smart???

No prob with it just not very often these days bus companies don't have a uniform.

Thank you, we do try to do the job properly.

We do have uniforms but as a lot of drivers have recently joined us they have not been issued as yet.

We will do an order for September, new school year.
Howards do the job brilliantly, relatively newish fleet as well.
It seems Howards are taking over the 27 weekday service from High Peak on Friday: http://www.howards-travel.co.uk/27.pdf
Reference URL's