Current time: 20/04/2024, 11:39 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
RE: Stagecoach Chester & Wirral
(24/02/2016 07:58)R879 HRF Wrote:  And Crosvilles EOG Olympians with their high speed diffs and high backed seats- the buses that ran the original X7 and X8

I wasn't aware that the EOGs had a reliability issue. Was it ever resolved or were they withdrawn prematurely from front-line services and put on less demanding routes as the Ribble VRs were?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(24/02/2016 09:26)Barney Wrote:  I wasn't aware that the EOGs had a reliability issue. Was it ever resolved or were they withdrawn prematurely from front-line services and put on less demanding routes as the Ribble VRs were?

If I remember rightly, the only real issue with the EOG was although it was capable of 70mph, the brakes wernt adequate enough to stop them so went through pads like no tomorrow and often suffered from burning brakes. I believe the majority ,including preserved EOG200 later had the high speed diffs replaced with standard, so did just normal Olympian speeds.

I am no longer active on this forum.
I can certainly vouch for EOG200 being able to do 70mph. On a late evening run on the old X8 route one day, I recall alighting at Bache a mere 34 minutes after leaving Liverpool ..!!
Not to sound completely oblivious, but does the X8 make a major difference to journey times compared to that of the 1? Personally, I'd much rather travel on a Gold[/font] standard bus from Liverpool - Chester with the added perks, than on a standard bus if it's not making much of an impact on time
(24/02/2016 17:40)telf23 Wrote:  Not to sound completely oblivious, but does the X8 make a major difference to journey times compared to that of the 1? Personally, I'd much rather travel on a Gold[/font] standard bus from Liverpool - Chester with the added perks, than on a standard bus if it's not making much of an impact on time

I caught the X8 couple of weeks ago & it took 60 minutes end to end, but that was 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon[it arrived in Chester 5 minutes early as traffic was light], the X8 is scheduled to take 65-75 minutes the 1, 100 minutes.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(24/02/2016 20:07)MTL0201 Wrote:  I caught the X8 couple of weeks ago & it took 60 minutes end to end, but that was 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon[it arrived in Chester 5 minutes early as traffic was light], the X8 is scheduled to take 65-75 minutes the 1, 100 minutes.

not a huge amount then really. thanks for clarifying Smile
80028 left for Preston yesterday afternoon along with a trident which was here for repaint.

36813 was towed away yesterday (to somewhere in Manchester I'm told) for some engine work.

17591 repainted into fleet livery and still retains its dual door . Down for MOT next few weeks.

I am no longer active on this forum.
(24/02/2016 23:10)telf23 Wrote:  not a huge amount then really. thanks for clarifying Smile

The X8 is around 20 minutes quicker than services 1&2 between Ellesmere Port & Liverpool. However, if travelling the full route, it's not that much quicker than the stopping services as they're actually a little more direct than the X8.
Not that much quicker? Liverpool - Chester.
X8 takes 1hour 6mins
1 takes 1hour 42mins
2 takes 1hour 32 mins.

Quite a lot quicker. Quickest option is still by train though.

On another note, 19061 is in Gillmoss getting work done.
(25/02/2016 22:10)PO59 MXJ Wrote:  Not that much quicker? Liverpool - Chester.
X8 takes 1hour 6mins
1 takes 1hour 42mins
2 takes 1hour 32 mins.

Quite a lot quicker. Quickest option is still by train though.

On another note, 19061 is in Gillmoss getting work done.

30 to 40 minutes really isn't that much. Obviously, if it was to travel to work, then yeah the X8 is the clear option, but for a leisure traveller, as I said, I'd rather spend that little longer on a higher spec bus with the added perks. I've once chosen before now to travel to Liverpool from Runcorn on the 82A rather than the X1 because of the quality of the bus and that journey adds at least an extra 50/60 minutes.

User(s) browsing this thread: 13 Guest(s)