Current time: 26/04/2024, 15:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TransPennine Express
RE: TransPennine Express
(11/02/2019 09:58)YK53 GXO Wrote:  Of course it would, but sometimes adding extra capacity can cause more issues than what it's worth. If you open a service like this out to commuters or local passengers by adding extra stops, it has the potential to get flooded with people between Liverpool and St Helens and vice versa, who purely use this train only as it is an express, therefore potentially providing capacity issues for passengers travelling further afield.

Again, I'll reiterate, the purpose of this service is to provide new city to city connections, not town to town.

Spot on with your comments.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Everyone's thinking of local connections and forgetting that there is quite possibly a market for people travelling from St Helens beyond Preston. It reminds of when the Liverpool - Newcastle service ran non stop along Chat Moss and when travelling to/from Newcastle, having to change at Manchester for a local service stopping at a station of which the train I'd just alighted from would be sailing through.
(11/02/2019 11:04)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Everyone's thinking of local connections and forgetting that there is quite possibly a market for people travelling from St Helens beyond Preston. It reminds of when the Liverpool - Newcastle service ran non stop along Chat Moss and when travelling to/from Newcastle, having to change at Manchester for a local service stopping at a station of which the train I'd just alighted from would be sailing through.

Thats life. It happens to us all.

(11/02/2019 18:18)childwallblues Wrote:  Thats life. It happens to us all.

Shouldn't be happening though to a town of this size. There are probably smaller settlements with Inter City links and it's not as if it will be a frequent service. As I've said before, if there would be a problem with local travel, why not introduce set down/pick up only restrictions as what planned for Bolton from May on the Manchester - Scotland services.
(11/02/2019 11:04)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Everyone's thinking of local connections and forgetting that there is quite possibly a market for people travelling from St Helens beyond Preston. It reminds of when the Liverpool - Newcastle service ran non stop along Chat Moss and when travelling to/from Newcastle, having to change at Manchester for a local service stopping at a station of which the train I'd just alighted from would be sailing through.

Long distance trains can't stop everywhere. At least it's not like at Hartford or Winsford where you can't get a train towards Warrington, so have to go in the wrong direction to Crewe and then back through the station you started at!
In some ways TPE are already treating St Helens poorly by using Lea Green instead of St Helens Junction for the stop on its Scarborough service. The Junction has a newly built car park four times the size of Lea Greens and has a waiting room in the Manchester direction.

Lea Green is better connected with Buses these days

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(12/02/2019 06:18)childwallblues Wrote:  In some ways TPE are already treating St Helens poorly by using Lea Green instead of St Helens Junction for the stop on its Scarborough service. The Junction has a newly built car park four times the size of Lea Greens and has a waiting room in the Manchester direction.

Merseytravel requested that they served Lea Green instead of St Helens Junction as originally planned.
(12/02/2019 06:49)T42 PVM Wrote:  Lea Green is better connected with Buses these days
Yes but the buses stop on the other side of a main road were the pedestrian crossing is away from the station.

(12/02/2019 06:49)T42 PVM Wrote:  Lea Green is better connected with Buses these days

And has better disabled access (if they can avoid cars parked cars on the roundabout next to the ticket office)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)