Current time: 07/05/2024, 15:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TransPennine Express
RE: TransPennine Express
802202 and 802201 passing through Guide Bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rScZiKO0eag
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
How many of the Mk5/Class 68 Nova 3 sets have turned up as of now?
In the new timetable starting in May there is an 0532 Edinburgh to Liverpool via Newcastle arriving at 1000.
The 0812 and 1612 Lime Street to Glasgow are first stop Wigan North Westerm whilst the 1212 and 2012 to Oxenholme stop at St Helens Central. In the south direction the are trains at 0745 1205 and 1629 from Glasgow. All run via Newton-le-Willows and the 1205 stops at Lea Green.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(10/02/2019 07:32)childwallblues Wrote:  In the new timetable starting in May there is an 0532 Edinburgh to Liverpool via Newcastle arriving at 1000.
The 0812 and 1612 Lime Street to Glasgow are first stop Wigan North Westerm whilst the 1212 and 2012 to Oxenholme stop at St Helens Central. In the south direction the are trains at 0745 1205 and 1629 from Glasgow. All run via Newton-le-Willows and the 1205 stops at Lea Green.

As debated earlier in thread, this makes a mockery of the promised 3tpd serving St Helens Central that was much trumpeted when the franchise started.
(10/02/2019 08:10)St Helens Rider Wrote:  As debated earlier in thread, this makes a mockery of the promised 3tpd serving St Helens Central that was much trumpeted when the franchise started.

The 3tpd are supposed to be Liverpool-Glasgow via Preston services not Liverpool-Edinburgh via York services.
(10/02/2019 10:23)knutstransport Wrote:  The 3tpd are supposed to be Liverpool-Glasgow via Preston services not Liverpool-Edinburgh via York services.

The post I was replying to does mention the Glasgow service, which as I say was much trumpeted to also serve St Helens Central (giving the impression that all 3 trains would serve both Liverpool and St Helens Central).
I think that TPE are trying to keep the service for longer distance passengers like they have by withdrawing the Wigan stop from Airport to Scotland services.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(10/02/2019 08:10)St Helens Rider Wrote:  As debated earlier in thread, this makes a mockery of the promised 3tpd serving St Helens Central that was much trumpeted when the franchise started.

As has been stated previously, the franchise agreement outlines the TPE must introduce

"New direct services from Liverpool to Glasgow from December 2018"

Adding stops such as St Helens Central defeats the point. If you start adding these, it quickly becomes a "semi-fast" local service, which is not what it is intended for. The point is to provide new links to the Lake District, Carlisle and Glasgow, not to provide an additional service for those looking for a fast train to Liverpool, Wigan or Preston.

Also to note, St Helens Central is already served by 1 semi-fast tph to the above destinations (in the form of the LIV-BPN service).

I find it pleasingly ironic that the person with the username "St Helens Rider" is complaining about all the services not stopping at St Helens. Hmm.
St Helens Rider actually brings up valid points, On the run up to this service starting it stopping at St Helens was used a lot, There is a growing number of People using St Helens Central and this service would add extra capacity when needed along with direct links to new destinations.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(11/02/2019 08:02)T42 PVM Wrote:  St Helens Rider actually brings up valid points, On the run up to this service starting it stopping at St Helens was used a lot, There is a growing number of People using St Helens Central and this service would add extra capacity when needed along with direct links to new destinations.

Of course it would, but sometimes adding extra capacity can cause more issues than what it's worth. If you open a service like this out to commuters or local passengers by adding extra stops, it has the potential to get flooded with people between Liverpool and St Helens and vice versa, who purely use this train only as it is an express, therefore potentially providing capacity issues for passengers travelling further afield.

Again, I'll reiterate, the purpose of this service is to provide new city to city connections, not town to town.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)