Current time: 02/05/2024, 23:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liverpool Night Buses Christmas 2015
RE: Liverpool Night Buses Christmas 2015
I was surprised that Queen Square Bus Station is the busiest in Europe, I thought the busiest might be in London.... or Belle Vale Bus Station lol

Smart cards do seem right though, I've driven full buses (out of Queen Square Bus Station!) and especially in the afternoons you can just take a handful of fares as everyone has got either concessionary passes, Walrus cards or Stagecoach Smart cards - lots of MyTicket use nowadays too mind so that ticket does do well.

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(30/11/2015 19:58)Barney Wrote:  Liam Robinson, who used to be a station manager at Lime Street, is the Chairman of Merseytravel and thus the most important person within the Liverpool City Region regarding transport issues. He, or one of his underlings, takes part in a Radio Merseyside phone-in on the Roger Philip's show every month. Worth a listen.

No it is more like once or twice a year when Merseytravel take part in his phone in.Someone
asked Liam why Elderly passes cannot be used before 0930 weekdays,his said this was not
possible because it caused travel congestion in the Morning peak,well what about the evening
peak when they are used ?

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
(02/12/2015 17:57)Penny Return Wrote:  No it is more like once or twice a year when Merseytravel take part in his phone in.Someone
asked Liam why Elderly passes cannot be used before 0930 weekdays,his said this was not
possible because it caused travel congestion in the Morning peak,well what about the evening
peak when they are used ?

It was very interesting and I think it would be better to arrive to work ontime than being late home, 0900 or so to 1700 or so shift.
The elderly could be going to hospital visting friends and family during hospital visting hours normally 1500-1700 (an hour between these times) and 1830-2000 or perhaps traveling home from thier day out.

I'm sure if TfGM did the phone in for Manchester, it would be as interesting and I could imagine many questions on the metrolink roadworks on and around Deansgate.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
I Refuse to believe Queen Square is Europe's Busiest Bus station? (is that based on buses per day or passenger numbers or ???) He sounds like a Labour Local Councillor this Merseytravel guy bending facts to suit an Argument (based entirely on the local crooks running Wigan)

Bring Back Arriva Skelmersdale
(03/12/2015 01:33)SLTRegular Wrote:  I Refuse to believe Queen Square is Europe's Busiest Bus station? (is that based on buses per day or passenger numbers or ???) He sounds like a Labour Local Councillor this Merseytravel guy bending facts to suit an Argument (based entirely on the local crooks running Wigan)

I'd guess buses per hour; when you think about it, it isn't actually -that- unlikely. Almost all buses in and out of the city centre pass through it in one direction or the other. At peak times you have a constant stream of buses entering and leaving from each side. Quite a lot of services are incredibly frequent such as the 79s and all the QBPs with buses every few minutes per route- it is impressively busy, but perhaps doesn't come across as such because it runs really well.

I wonder though whether they class Sir Thomas Street, St John's Lane and Whitechapel as Queen Square, to help boost the numbers? Either way, it is still unarguably incredibly busy.
Sir Thomas Street , St Johns lane and Whitechapel are officially part of the public hughway so they can not be used in any of the figures .

The public roads that ran through Queen Square Bus Station where offically stopped up.
If the pedestrian crossings were scrapped and replaced with a bridge or underground walkway would ease congestion especially when at peak times but it would have to be very wide to hold a large number of people. You wouldn't want people getting trampled over if there was a bomb scare or something.
(03/12/2015 08:27)RedPanda Wrote:  If the pedestrian crossings were scrapped and replaced with a bridge or underground walkway would ease congestion especially when at peak times but it would have to be very wide to hold a large number of people. You wouldn't want people getting trampled over if there was a bomb scare or something.

How is this comment (people getting trampled in a bomb scare) relevant to the topic of Liverpool night buses? If you want, I could tell you what I had for breakfast.
(03/12/2015 08:27)RedPanda Wrote:  If the pedestrian crossings were scrapped and replaced with a bridge or underground walkway would ease congestion especially when at peak times but it would have to be very wide to hold a large number of people.

It wouldn't work hence the demolition of the previous one.

People would still risk running across the road and climbing over the practically knee-high barriers to get to the other side. There's also the problem of it having to be DDA compliant with the space for a ramp of appropriate gradient
(03/12/2015 10:06)Barney Wrote:  How is this comment (people getting trampled in a bomb scare) relevant to the topic of Liverpool night buses? If you want, I could tell you what I had for breakfast.

As a reply if you like of comments regarding QS bus station and how busy it is, less pedestrians crossing could make it less busy. I didn't know that there was once other means of crossing as I've not been into buses for so long.
I want off topic yes with it being Christmas buses but as a reply to a post I think it was relevant somehow...lol

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)