Current time: 19/05/2024, 12:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liverpool Night Buses Christmas 2015
RE: Liverpool Night Buses Christmas 2015
My mate got the 4:15 N86 from Liverpool and he said there was at least 20 People on this Trip

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(29/11/2015 12:35)T42 PVM Wrote:  My mate got the 4:15 N86 from Liverpool and he said there was at least 20 People on this Trip

That would be obvious anyway as it's student central along the 86 route. The Manchester night buses leave with full deckers and standing loads on the 43/142/143 equivalent
Find all posts by this user
(29/11/2015 19:02)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  That would be obvious anyway as it's student central along the 86 route. The Manchester night buses leave with full deckers and standing loads on the 43/142/143 equivalent

Whilst it's true that a large number of students live along the 86 route, in recent years there has been a lot development of student accommodation in the heart of Liverpool city centre. Consequently, for many Liverpool students a ten-minute walk gets them to the bars and clubs which I suspect is not the case in Manchester.
The 86 was the most popular, the 10 14 and 53 were leaving virtually empty when I saw them leaving from 3-4am,
Its only week 1 , by week week 4 thats the one to look at .
(29/11/2015 22:39)Barney Wrote:  Whilst it's true that a large number of students live along the 86 route, in recent years there has been a lot development of student accommodation in the heart of Liverpool city centre. Consequently, for many Liverpool students a ten-minute walk gets them to the bars and clubs which I suspect is not the case in Manchester.
That's actually incorrect, I can speak from experience in both Liverpool and Manchester, although there is large development in the city centre, it's more targeted at First-year students (freshers), post-graduates and mature students. People who have came to the uni with no friends, and those who aim for a quieter lifestyle.

The cost per week of living in a city center student flat with bills is around £130-170 per week (depending on the type of accommodation). The cost of living in a shared house just out of the City Centre is about £95 pppw. The higher priced accommodation is primarily targeting international students with housing targeting those struggling to make ends meet on the Student loan and grant, or those who are in larger friendship groups and then you're able to get an 11 bedroom house compared to a 4 bed apartment, sadly not everyone gets the full loan and grant amount so can't afford to live in these new high-rises. So theoretically, it's cheaper to get a house just off Smithdown Road and invest in an annual bus pass than it is to live a full year in one of the city centre private developments.

The only difference with Manchester is that there is a lot more student houses and student halls and apartments in comparison to Liverpool, yet people are constantly moaning whenever new housing is built over local housing despite students being one of the top sources of income for the city with having three universities within a mile radius of one another.
I was listening to Radio Merseyside at lunch time where Liam Robinson was answering questions on all things pertaining to Merseytravel. A caller from the Wirral asked why there were no longer any weekend night buses to West Kirby only to be told that by Liam Robinson that there was now an alternative. Apparently, he seems to think that the new 'network' (it's actually one route and two departures) to Chester provides a service to Birkenhead and Bromborough where passengers can then transfer to a taxi for the rest of their journey. Hmm!
(30/11/2015 17:23)Barney Wrote:  I was listening to Radio Merseyside at lunch time where Liam Robinson was answering questions on all things pertaining to Merseytravel. A caller from the Wirral asked why there were no longer any weekend night buses to West Kirby only to be told that by Liam Robinson that there was now an alternative. Apparently, he seems to think that the new 'network' (it's actually one route and two departures) to Chester provides a service to Birkenhead and Bromborough where passengers can then transfer to a taxi for the rest of their journey. Hmm!

He has the money to afford a taxi from Birkenhead to West Kirby so he can say that. If its an everyday individual then they would ask why they have to folk out money from their empty wallets and purses. Don't know who he is but if he's on the BBC, then he must be on good income.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(30/11/2015 19:46)RedPanda Wrote:  He has the money to afford a taxi from Birkenhead to West Kirby so he can say that. If its an everyday individual then they would ask why they have to folk out money from their empty wallets and purses. Don't know who he is but if he's on the BBC, then he must be on good income.

Liam Robinson, who used to be a station manager at Lime Street, is the Chairman of Merseytravel and thus the most important person within the Liverpool City Region regarding transport issues. He, or one of his underlings, takes part in a Radio Merseyside phone-in on the Roger Philip's show every month. Worth a listen.
(30/11/2015 19:58)Barney Wrote:  Liam Robinson, who used to be a station manager at Lime Street, is the Chairman of Merseytravel and thus the most important person within the Liverpool City Region regarding transport issues. He, or one of his underlings, takes part in a Radio Merseyside phone-in on the Roger Philip's show every month. Worth a listen.

It certainly is!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p037tx4f

Some interesting facts (according to Cllr Robinson);
-97% of Merseyside's buses are now low-floor.
-Queen Square Liverpool is Europe's busiest bus station.
-Merseyside has the largest number of Smartcard users outside of London.
-The Mersey Tunnels turnover £40m a year generating a £15m surplus (£20m spent on Tunnels maintenance, staff and operating costs, and £5m spent on paying-off Tunnels debts) and this £15m probably explains why Merseyside can fund free Christmas Day services.

User(s) browsing this thread: