Current time: 19/04/2024, 18:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Warrington's Own Buses
RE: WBT Network Warrington
Mayneway....I cannot possibly give my personal views on here as I am sure you can understand regarding prices. But its a great forum to debate all of this anyways, certainly keeps things interesting.

Katie speaks some truth in what she is saying. Mr Fairbrother is a really nice fella, genuinley. But its NW that are running at 5am to get people into work and at 11.30pm to take people home from the pub etc. Sometimes the public forget that..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Just on this question of takeovers, people are assuming that NW should be the one taken over. TBH, let's not forget the possibility that GHA or faribrothers could receive an offer from a group, and that they then improve that firms services.

And I'm not just referring, in group terms, to Stagecoach, First or Arriva. Rotala have a presence in the North west with Preston Bus and Diamond North West (SLT), so they could be a contender. It's also interesting to mention that the firm is called Diamond Bus North West for trading purposes, which could be used at other locations in the North West.

Mind you, there is a flip side. The fact that no one has made an offer or launched a serious assault on NW has a few meanings.

1 - The groups haven't looked at Warrington.
2 - They have, and aren't interested in the area, at this time
3 - maybe they have, but bids have been rejected. However, with this point, as some groups are listed on the stock market or AIM, it's possible they would have informed those markets.
4 - They may be plotting their own moves. However, the last bus war, in the 1990s, was total triumph for WBT and total defeat for Arriva. But, that's not to say that'll be the case again. Remember Arriva has no depot in the town right now, but it could find a site and use it as a small depot.
Dont know where Katies Posts have come from as they where not here before, I was in Warrington a few days ago and i had noticed Fairbrothers 16X doing really well, might now be worth him looking into improving on that to continue that growth

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(09/08/2015 16:31)T42 PVM Wrote:  Dont know where Katies Posts have come from as they where not here before

It may be that a moderator has to approve new members' posts.

(09/08/2015 10:34)Katie Wrote:  I am a new member and hope that everyone will give me guidance where necessary. There appears to be a lot of Network Warrington bashing and I would like to give my views. I feel that Network Warrington deserve credit for not escalating the bus ware with GHA on the 45/46 routes. As is common knowledge NW are withdrawing the 45 service from the 1st September but will continue with the 46. There will be 13 journeys per day from Warrington (only 3 trips will runs five minutes before GHA and most of the others will leave the interchange on the hour which is 25 minutes after the GHA timetables). As far as I understand the 46 route will be the existing one but will also take in Lostock Gralam and Wincham which are part of the 45. I see it that from 1st September Network Warrington will be - Warrington/Stretton/Comberbach/Anderton/Northwich/Lostock Gralam/Wincham/Lostock Gralam/ Northwich/Anderton/Comberbach/Stretton/Warrington. In addition there will be an 8.30 a.m. service nod. 46 from Warrington which will terminate at Stretton returning from there at 8.58 a.m. I have found it extremely easy to contact Network Warrington simply by going to their website pressing contact and sending an email. I have always received a prompt and courteous reply.

Welcome to the forum. You have posted successfully, and that's about all there is to it!

Just wondering how you managed to obtain the 46's new timetable, and do you know if any other new timetables are available?

I have to say that the replies I have had from Network Warrington's Operations Manager have been very courteous, well-written and considered.
Having said that, the response I had from the 'Travel Shop' address one time wasn't nearly so insightful and didn't really answer the question asked.
(09/08/2015 15:49)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  Mayneway....I cannot possibly give my personal views on here as I am sure you can understand regarding prices. But its a great forum to debate all of this anyways, certainly keeps things interesting.

Katie speaks some truth in what she is saying. Mr Fairbrother is a really nice fella, genuinley. But its NW that are running at 5am to get people into work and at 11.30pm to take people home from the pub etc. Sometimes the public forget that..

That's all good and well but Stagecoach operate thier first service of the day near me at 05.36 and the last one at 23.37 but they don't charge £25 a week for the privalige.

I understand Katie's frustrations regarding Fairbrothers lack of ambition but I can kind of understand why he's reluctant to expand when he has to ask the same council that own NW for bus station slots to run against them.
(09/08/2015 17:01)Dentonian Wrote:  Interesting one this. In terms of bidding to buy the company, this would seem unlikely, if the idea has been rejected before. Also, Arriva wouldn't be allowed to, as they surround Warrington, so would not get past the OFT. First are a consolidating company rather than expanding. Stagecoach is a possibility, as they have no prescence in the area, but in the short term could run from Wigan - not least because if all the reserve stock were removed, the depot would have plenty of spare capacity. Also, politically (and I mean small "p"), it would bear little relation to the situation in Preston, and earlier bus wars in such as Darlington. In those cases, the municipality was (AFAIK) running a reasonable network at reasonable fares - albeit the Darlington fleet was probably past its best. As such, they would be seen as the "saviours", rather than the "goliaths" from out of town.
As you infer, Rotala might be the most likely of all to show an interest in actually buying NW.

I can't see anyone taking an indirect approach in trying to bid for GHA (even only the local ops), but maybe seperate investors would see an oppurtunity in joining Fairbrothers.
I would think the more likely (and sensible) approach initially, would be for Arriva and First to step up promotions on competing routes. The overall difference in fares is so big, they might not ned to even get embroiled in a fares war. Arriva, in particular could brand their routes and remind passengers of their "bargain" fares with external advertising. Not quite so easy for First, because the 100 interworks with the 67, so a large proportion of the Queens Road B9 fleet would have to be involved.

Ii is intriguing to note that Warrington has the Chancellor of the Exchequer immediately to the East, and the "would be" Labour leader immediately to the North, so both will have Consituents watching this closely. I accept that party politics is not really for this Forum, but I suspect both will be rubbing their hands with glee at this situation - for very different reasons!

I know I'm living in dream world by saying this (who knows though) but I'd love to see a well established coach firm who have a large base in Warrington come back into the bus service industry and run in compititon against NW. They have the reputation and name as well as the resources - it would certainly make things more interesting Smile
(09/08/2015 17:11)Dentonian Wrote:  What is capacity like at the Interchange? Unless, it can be proved there is no room, entrance cannot be denied.

I don't know. All I know is that a post earlier this year on the Fairbrothers own Facebook page by the owner implied that he was finding it difficult to get help from Warrington council in terms of using the bus station for new services etc.
Arriva st helens first bus is out at about 04:30-05:00 in the morning and last bus gets back in the depot at 01:00 in the morning and there weeklys are only £16.00 and £17.50 and day tickets £4.20 and £5.20 and even get services on boxing day and new years day.
(09/08/2015 17:20)motormayhem1 Wrote:  Arriva st helens first bus is out at about 04:30-05:00 in the morning and last bus gets back in the depot at 01:00 in the morning and there weeklys are only £16.00 and £17.50 and day tickets £4.20 and £5.20 and even get services on boxing day and new years day.

Looking into my crystal ball I see Network Warrington registering to run services earlier at 4am instead of 5am and charging £50 for a weekly ticket for the privilege Smile
(09/08/2015 16:58)Valandil Wrote:  It may be that a moderator has to approve new members' posts.

Welcome to the forum. You have posted successfully, and that's about all there is to it!

Just wondering how you managed to obtain the 46's new timetable, and do you know if any other new timetables are available?

I have to say that the replies I have had from Network Warrington's Operations Manager have been very courteous, well-written and considered.
Having said that, the response I had from the 'Travel Shop' address one time wasn't nearly so insightful and didn't really answer the question asked.

Many thanks for allowing me to join the forum.

My husband obtained copies of the 46 and 16/16A timetables commencing the 1st September two or three weeks ago from Network Warrington. No doubt they will be on the NW website within the next week or so and available in the travel shop at the interchange. As previously mentioned my husband and I have always found Network Warrington very approachable unlike some other operators operating out of Warrington.

User(s) browsing this thread: 19 Guest(s)