Current time: 19/04/2024, 09:36 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Warrington's Own Buses
RE: Warrington's Own Buses
(08/04/2019 18:26)Y474 KNF Wrote:  It's future proofing - just because the new depot would have capacity for 140 buses doesn't mean WOB have to utilise all of it as soon as it becomes operational. At the moment the company has 92 vehicles in service (OTOH) - so the extra space would allow for a decent amount of expansion in the future

A gradual expansion of the network over several years is much more likely - and more sustainable - than what you've suggested

WOB is certinaly are on a roll
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(08/04/2019 19:11)iMarkeh Wrote:  I can understand future proofing but that is a lot of extra buses. Given WOB aren't really expanding their network and haven't done for a while. As WOB interworks everything, I can't say for certain but the upgraded 32 won't put many buses onto the PVR (given it's only a 4 bus route and with the 13/14/15 changes, a bus or so should be freed up there and the existing 32 being withdrawn).

Given that they only have 92 buses right now, the 120 capacity is future proof really. 140 is just overly ambitious in my opinion. Given WOBs network hasn't really expanded much in previous years, I can't see them expanding much. It will just be the odd bus here and there (like the 22 and the 32 blue line).

Most of the routes/changes which have have made are done to work with school buses to reduce the PVR (like the 62).

Unless they have a big plan which would drastically increase the PVR (Ie Halton Transport takeover) then 140 buses will be far too high I think for Warrington. There are only so many schools they can win and I think they have all the services they will get locally without takeovers.

They are expanding the 22, 32? and starting on the 62 that is growth, WOB may never operate 120 Buses but at least the option is there just in case something happens in the future

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Good times ahead for the company, they are certainly turning things around that’s for sure.
(09/04/2019 07:48)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  Good times ahead for the company, they are certainly turning things around that’s for sure.

That's all down to actually having managment that know what there doing now and how to take the company forward and progress.
Just read about the depot expansion elsewhere. It seems like some kind of plan must be in existence to build the fleet up after that in relation to it.

I would very much doubt that 140 would be met imminently, however in the longer term other opportunities might occur, such as growth of the town and its employment output. It may also be like Lothian and Reading Buses that maybe they aspire to grow into a larger selection of rural services from more of the surrounding towns when opportunities arise, the schools fleet might also grow further, as it already has with the acquisition of that part of the Fairbrother's Business.

Another opportunity might be Greater Manchester Franchising in places such as in the Leigh, Wigan, Salford and Altrincham area's that could push the fleet up, and then the plans for the former Burtonwood Collery site might also grow the fleet, so quite a lot of opportunities potentially.
(08/04/2019 19:11)iMarkeh Wrote:  I can understand future proofing but that is a lot of extra buses. Given WOB aren't really expanding their network and haven't done for a while. As WOB interworks everything, I can't say for certain but the upgraded 32 won't put many buses onto the PVR (given it's only a 4 bus route and with the 13/14/15 changes, a bus or so should be freed up there and the existing 32 being withdrawn).

Given that they only have 92 buses right now, the 120 capacity is future proof really. 140 is just overly ambitious in my opinion. Given WOBs network hasn't really expanded much in previous years, I can't see them expanding much. It will just be the odd bus here and there (like the 22 and the 32 blue line).

Most of the routes/changes which have have made are done to work with school buses to reduce the PVR (like the 62).

Unless they have a big plan which would drastically increase the PVR (Ie Halton Transport takeover) then 140 buses will be far too high I think for Warrington. There are only so many schools they can win and I think they have all the services they will get locally without takeovers.

What do you mean "WOB aren't really expanding their network"? They're about to start operating two extended services to Ashton and Widnes respectively and a new (to WOB) service to Halton Lea

The new depot is a show of ambition in itself - what's the point in a bus operator building a new depot which has the same capacity as their existing one when they're looking to gradually expand their network in the future? Having capacity for an extra twenty vehicles would give WOB plenty of breathing space if there are any opportunities for expansion in the future. Just because there's no obvious opportunities at this moment in time doesn't mean there won't be any opportunities in the future
Maybe the new depot is necessary in case the site of the current depot is proposed for redevelopment ? Selling a site near the town centre might easily pay for a new, larger depot outside the town centre.
(09/04/2019 08:53)motormayhem1 Wrote:  That's all down to actually having managment that know what there doing now and how to take the company forward and progress.

A while ago the company was on its knees and now its moving on up there with the best such as Trent Barton which is a good bus company.
(09/04/2019 23:52)TheShire Wrote:  A while ago the company was on its knees and now its moving on up there with the best such as Trent Barton which is a good bus company.

Not sure about this, its really another set of managers who have a fresh vision for the company, rather than just to spring it along, financial figures would say how well it was actually doing, and whether it was paying Warrington Unitary Authority a healthy dividend so council taxes could be reduced would be the clear indicator with this.

So far there has only been one investment in new fleet, which isn't that encouraging although if further stuff is on order I will happily give them the benefit of the doubt, I think really its a journey to expand and also make asset value by selling off a valuable town centre location for other usage and moving to a bigger site which will allow them to expand in the future over the mid term as opportunities appear.

The intrusion into Halton is probably about protecting their market share against intrusion into Warrington by any future player who may buy Halton Transport, I would very much doubt the buyer would be Warrington as councillors possibly will not want to spend money out of the authority area. Halton being adjacent is a problem for Warrington potentially because if a large group buys Halton they will wish to expand and would see Warrington as a weaker player they might be able to remove, as for Stagecoach it might be tempting to link the Wigan network with the Halton network across Warrington, and for GoAhead it might be temting to link the Halton network with the Manchester network across Warrington, and so it goes on. So Warrington's struck first in order to reduce the threat of a major player arriving in Warrington, and indeed if they and Arriva for that matter can make Halton unattractive for any potential incomer they might be in a position to buy it for a cheaper price as its net book value would be reduced.
More new timetables are now up, as well as more polished versions of most of the ones which were already up:
https://www.warringtonsownbuses.co.uk/ne...ce-changes

It looks like the new 'blueline' 32 is getting allocated 4 branded hybrid Versas.

User(s) browsing this thread: 19 Guest(s)