Current time: 25/04/2024, 11:36 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
RE: Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
(26/09/2018 09:22)MPTE1955 Wrote:  This aside though that the driver didn't know the route etc, surely he should be aware of what he is driving and should be able to judge if his vehicle will fit under a bridge. Its not like the height of the bus isn't in his cab.

The height of bridges can be deceptive, and, considering that just about anywhere else in this country the driver of a large vehicle can legitimately assume an unsigned bridge to be at least 16' 6" (*), I don't think the driver should have been expected to know that the bus wouldn't fit. It would be different if they'd passed a warning sign, but I'm almost certain there aren't any.

It does look as though there's a no-right-turn sign at that junction; but then, it looks as though there's also one at the junction where the driver was actually supposed to turn right onto the busway! And I think it's fair to say that Runcorn is the sort of town where a lot of junctions look very similar.

(*) I know this figure well, having once believed, albeit only for a few seconds, that I'd de-roofed an Oxford Bus Company Leyland Olympian.

Driving instructor: How tall's this bus?
Me: Thirteen foot eight.
Instructor: How high's that bridge?
Me: Well it must be at least sixteen foot six, 'cos there's no signs.
Instructor: Are you sure? Don't you think you'd better...
[CRASH BANG CLATTER....]

Of course I pretty much stood the Olympian on its nose, and, as I contemplated the end of my brief driving career, I dimly wondered why the banging noises were still happening... at which point I looked around to find my instructor playing percussion on the back of the cab LOL
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Wasn't the last example on that route (well the 36 as was) one of the First Chester, former Crosville DOG Olympians, A144 SMA or one if the sisters?
Find all posts by this user
Does anybody know the PVR of the 2 operated by Rock Ferry please?

Thanks
This Saturday will be a sad day with the 9/X9 going. It's a shame P&O Lloyd are taking over Wepre or I think Stagecoach may have thought about taking it on with vastly increased fares (in line with other local services). Chesters PVR only decreases by 1 though as the 109 and 209 will still be kept. Seems a bit odd for a small depot like Chester to have so many school routes and no 'between school' routes (Obviously the 23 and 41C started recently to run with the 16 school extra but other than that, all routes run straight through). On the plus side, the X9/9 will free up 3 drivers (though the 109 will still need drivers from somewhere. The 209 is already out on a standard duty) which should help the driver shortage slightly.
18385 on X8 this evening

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
Volvo b7 currently at rockferry, think 19658
(28/09/2018 12:49)Busguy12 Wrote:  Volvo b7 currently at rockferry, think 19658

think you mean 16958 and its B9TL 16957 is on the X8
Any pics available please
(28/09/2018 16:11)508143 Wrote:  Any pics available please

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...391&type=3
Finally something decent on a northwest route

User(s) browsing this thread: 12 Guest(s)