Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: The Weather
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
There is more on the way that was only a prelude to something more significant coming , to get a general idea of the weather coming use the following ...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weath.../#?tab=map
amber weather warning for us then
well snows coming down well here in st helens, both pavments are covered however the road does not seem to bad
lots of arriva services distrupted look on their facebook page
Perhaps this shows the advantages of a rear engined vehicle in comparison to the ageing, yet bullet-proof and highly dependable, Volvo B10M chassis as Stagecoach 20228 demonstrates on this slight incline with no weight over or behind its rear-driving axle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-21081224

Apologies for lack of hyper-link, my browser doesn't appear to be complying.
(18/01/2013 13:45)K101HUM Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps this shows the advantages of a rear engined vehicle in comparison to the ageing, yet bullet-proof and highly dependable, Volvo B10M chassis as Stagecoach 20228 demonstrates on this slight incline with no weight over or behind its rear-driving axle.

to be fare,it did better than the rear engined Wright Eclipses around here,all they seem to be doing is creating a lot of wheelspin.The way the transports been disrupted around here,anyone would think UKs never seen snow!
(18/01/2013 14:42)Wright Eclipse Wrote: [ -> ]
(18/01/2013 13:45)K101HUM Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps this shows the advantages of a rear engined vehicle in comparison to the ageing, yet bullet-proof and highly dependable, Volvo B10M chassis as Stagecoach 20228 demonstrates on this slight incline with no weight over or behind its rear-driving axle.

to be fare,it did better than the rear engined Wright Eclipses around here,all they seem to be doing is creating a lot of wheelspin.The way the transports been disrupted around here,anyone would think UKs never seen snow!
I cannot disagree with you there mate.
Winsofrd's 84 (Crewe - Chester)
37 (Northwich - Sandbach and/or Crewe)
Were part suspended today, With the 37 NOT Serving between Northwich & Middlewich
(18/01/2013 15:51)Scania1996 Wrote: [ -> ]
(18/01/2013 14:42)Wright Eclipse Wrote: [ -> ]

You get what you pay for!

Pay for weatherproofed roads and public transport like Switzerland and Austria do and you will get 100% reliability in mid-winter.

Try and get away with doing nothing until it actually snows like we try and get way with, and you get situations like today. Simples.
(18/01/2013 19:09)DVL418 Wrote: [ -> ]
(18/01/2013 15:51)Scania1996 Wrote: [ -> ]
(18/01/2013 14:42)Wright Eclipse Wrote: [ -> ]to be fare,it did better than the rear engined Wright Eclipses around here,all they seem to be doing is creating a lot of wheelspin.The way the transports been disrupted around here,anyone would think UKs never seen snow!

You get what you pay for!

Pay for weatherproofed roads and public transport like Switzerland and Austria do and you will get 100% reliability in mid-winter.

Try and get away with doing nothing until it actually snows like we try and get way with, and you get situations like today. Simples.

Very true but there are ways the current system can be improved without spending too much cash.In the 70s they fitted big fans on front of trains to blow hot air in front to clear tracks of snow as they continued along - maybe they could think of bring this sort of thing back.Also in the 90s Yorkshire Rider fitted snow plows to a couple of Alexander Dashs (they never entered Service like this).If i remember correctly they did a few laps of Bramley Depot (it was either bramley or Kirkstall) but leeds council deemed it unfit to use buses as plows (because they would do a better job then leeds council did themselves).Maybe in this day & age operaters & council could come to an understanding about plows.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Reference URL's