Current time: 26/04/2024, 08:53 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Preston Depot
RE: Stagecoach MCSL - Preston Depot
(12/11/2018 23:14)St Helens Rider Wrote:  And there endth Wigan's last bus (if rather long) link with any city in the relative surrounding area.

Strictly speaking, Boothstown (served by the 132) is part of the City of Salford. (Though I appreciate that it doesn't go to the city centre.)

Though it's interesting enough as an item of trivia, I don't think the lack of bus services to cities reflects negatively upon Wigan. If anything, it says that it's a significant enough place in its own right not to need a bus "into the city". And it does have decent direct rail links to plenty of major cities.

City status is somewhat arbitrary in any case - Preston only became one less than 20 years ago, and Bolton was also among the candidates at the same time, so one could argue that Wigan's lack of city bus links is purely down to the whims of the Queen Smile

(Incidentally, and completely off-topic, I'm sure that there was a British Rail Class 86 electric locomotive named "City of Milton Keynes", and yet apparently it isn't one, nor ever has been.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Despite having had two football teams called Milton Keynes City, they've applied for city.status three times without success. They seem to have ideas above their station.
Find all posts by this user
Spot on Quackdave.
86211 was named City of Milton Keynes. Unfortunately it was destroyed in an accident at Colwich Junction, Staffordshire on 19 November 1986 whilst hauling a Liverpool to Euston express when it ran into a Euston to Manchester express hauled by 86429 The Times. The Manchester train had gone through a red light.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(22/11/2018 07:07)childwallblues Wrote:  Spot on Quackdave.
86211 was named City of Milton Keynes. Unfortunately it was destroyed in an accident at Colwich Junction, Staffordshire on 19 November 1986 whilst hauling a Liverpool to Euston express when it ran into a Euston to Manchester express hauled by 86429 The Times. The Manchester train had gone through a red light.

Re 86211 was hauling 1A76 1720 x Liverpool, 86429 was on 1H20 1700 x Euston. 19 September 1986.
The 113 has been saved, However the operator has yet to be confirmed.

https://www.wigantoday.net/news/transpor...51AR-ML2vc

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
(28/11/2018 16:01)T42 PVM Wrote:  The 113 has been saved, However the operator has yet to be confirmed.

https://www.wigantoday.net/news/transpor...51AR-ML2vc

I’m not sure if I understand the senior manager’s comment but it seems to suggest Stagecoach will continue to run it.
Well they already cancelled it (see VOSA thread for details).
(28/11/2018 22:47)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Well they already cancelled it (see VOSA thread for details).

Of course it could’ve been decided by Stagecoach they’ll continue to run it after VOSA was updated yesterday.
It’s the use of language in the sub heading “their 113 will continue to operate” which suggests to me it’s still Stagecoach.
I tried editing my post last night and add the language last night, but phone was playing up.
They will have cancelled it before possibly winning the tender. It happens quite often. It's companies planning ahead to save short notice registrations. If they win, they will just re-register it.
Apparently Preston Bus will now Operate the 113

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)