Current time: 17/05/2024, 12:16 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fixing FirstGroup's buses
RE: Fixing FirstGroup's buses
(19/01/2013 16:04)gilesbus1 Wrote:  I don't think its that simple in the case of disposals, what I suspect is that the list that was issued has most if not all the planned disposals in England, as Wales is about to get a new batch of Enviro Enviro200's and has already been slimlined and with the collapse of Veolia as well is safe for now. However Scotland opens questions especially the Scotland East division as it is suggested that two operating licenses there could be made into one as Lothian is still having a major effect on routes which terminate in Edinburgh along with other operators that operate in that teritory, however Galashields depot at least is safe but a question mark may hang over some of the others.

Other options might be to ofload all of First Midland and another option may be to ofload Eastern Counties or Essex, both of which suffer heavy competition especially from GoAhead and from Arriva owned Municipal operations in the case of Essex. In some cases however it is suggested that some loss making depots need to be held onto as they are integral with what is profitable that is around them, eg if it had been a depot in Bradford or Leeds that mas making a loss it would be held onto as its in the middle of a territory and to release it could effect other depots profitability, with Wigan it was easy as in was on the edge and rather devorcved from Manchester and with Chester/Rock Ferry it was easy because it was devorced from all other operations and was reallu a self contained unit, this is the sort of unit Giles Fearnley suggests that might be liable to go, eg small devorced units that are not core in the operations of other depots that only make low profits or break even or losses, which to turn around would be a management distraction and which are suffering perhaps from an influx of other major operators or independents from surrounding areas. I would sugget that something that might be an indication is where no vehicles or very few are resprayed into FirstGroups new bus livery and where investment in stock has been effectively none existant.

In regards to the topic of investment in new vehicles I would suggest that the need is to replace Dart SLF's/Scania L112CRL's and Volv0 B10BLE's so the replacement stock plan is right for now, Lets not forget those fleets that have deckers are now probably not due to recieve anything for a few years such as Manchester and Leeds, or only limited stocks for replacement of the classes involved.
I wonder whether Haverfordwest & Hereford (being small and geographically isolated) would be obvious operations for disposal?
I have my fingers crossed re Scotland East (hoping for sell offs!) rumours abound about Musselburgh/North Berwick possible close down.
Agree re Single Deck Replacement priorities, Double Deck requirements can be met by ongoing cascades from London.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Fixing FirstGroup's buses - gilesbus1 - 19/01/2013, 01:03
RE: Fixing FirstGroup's buses - Southernsofty - 20/01/2013 20:14

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)