Current time: 26/04/2024, 07:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Route History
RE: Route History
Pier Head-Mann Island is quite an old turning circle that still exists, buses still use it today[although might not be for much longer if the so called connectivity plans go ahead, although that's for the other thread], used to be the old Crosville terminus, Crosville started using Mann Island from 1932, when the terminus moved from Canning Place.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Thinking back to the Merseybus 52/62 St Helens-Wigan[not sure if Merseybus had a 72], which competed with the North Western 352/362/372, i think the Merseybus service started in 88, when North Western bared the use of saveaways on there buses, due to row with Merseytravel how payment for allowing use of Merseytravel issued passes on North Western services were calculated, Merseybus started 52/62 to give saveaway coverage in Billinge, Merseybus started a few routes around then covering North Western routes in the Merseyside area to give saveaway coverage, the Merseybus 52/62 later Lancashire Travel service merged with the Arriva[which what North Western became] 352/362 service, after Arriva brought MTL

Merseybus didn't do a 72. The 42/52/62 started in December 89 after Merseybus withdrew the 76/76A.
(17/12/2019 16:08)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Merseybus didn't do a 72. The 42/52/62 started in December 89 after Merseybus withdrew the 76/76A.

I see, i remember the 76 being extended hourly to Billinge[half hourly Pier Head-St Helens] & looking at my March 88 Liverpool bus map rerouted via Belle Vale & Whiston, then via the 10A Prescot to St Helens.

Routes through Whiston were interesting then, just after Crosville closed down the Liverpool depot because of the strike, seems Merseybus extended ont of the 75s as 75A to Prescot via Whiston.

Do you remember the Timeline buses, Timeline bus division was set up by Shearings, they ran
48/49 Huyton-Prescot Circular
50 Huyton-Warrington
52 Prescot-Warrington

The 50/52 evolved to become Prescot-St Helens-Warrington

Timeline was when Shearings sold off the bus side in the early to mid 90s, the routes mentioned above were trading as Shearings. Also recall the 50 being extended to Huyton alongside a then new lengthy route 651which ran from Huyton to Atherton via St Helens, Newton and Ashton (part of which later became the shortened 51).
Merseybus also extended the 6 (as a 6B) to Rainhill Stoops via mostly the 61 route as far as I can remember.
(18/12/2019 12:52)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Merseybus also extended the 6 (as a 6B) to Rainhill Stoops via mostly the 61 route as far as I can remember.

Indeed, there was a short lived 8 Prescot-Pier Head around 87

(18/12/2019 17:46)MTL0201 Wrote:  Indeed, there was a short lived 8 Prescot-Pier Head around 87

Indeed and it ran as the 8 Mon - Sat and 108 Sun.
April 1992, Merseybus started service 574/575, partially replacing withdrawn route 91A. Any idea of the route and frequency?
(21/12/2019 16:46)Walton 46 Wrote:  April 1992, Merseybus started service 574/575, partially replacing withdrawn route 91A. Any idea of the route and frequency?
Could be wrong but wasn't the 574/575 a competitor to Liverbus's 274/275 (similar route to present 8/9 if I remember correctly).

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)