Current time: 04/05/2024, 09:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Computer Viruses
RE: Computer Viruses
(08/10/2012 11:22)wirralbus Wrote:  I think some of these Virus makers pray on some peoples inability to deal with virus problems and scare people into parting with there cash.

Now that is funny, each to their own and all that, don't knock until you try it but not for me personally.Laugh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
@MTL, I'd reccomend the OP takes it to a computer shop BEFORE trying a system restore if he has files he needs on the laptop; they should be recoverable by connecting the hard disk to another computer via a SATA/IDE > USB adapter or the like.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
(08/10/2012 14:43)CX54 DKD Wrote:  SATA/IDE > USB adapter or the like.

Best piece of kit I ever bought one of those, only costs about £15 but the number of times it has been used to rescue data from otherwise dead PCs it has paid for itself many times over!

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
I actually suffered a similar problem to this a few years back, albeit masquerading as a paid for anti-virus service rather the Police. Solution was almost exactly the same as that mentioned in the link. Not too difficult to sort and nothing was lost, but the feeling of potential loss of months worth of pictures and videos is horrible - especially when you temporarily don't have the means to back it up.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
The tutorial is for Windows XP, if you use Windows Vista or Windows 7, it is a possibility that instead of using the F8 key, you may need to hold down the CTRL key as soon as you turn on the computer to access safe mode.

So if you don't get safe mode from F8, try CTRL.
It should still be F8 as that is a BIOS command before windows is even loaded!
(08/10/2012 16:33)First Class Wrote:  The tutorial is for Windows XP, if you use Windows Vista or Windows 7, it is a possibility that instead of using the F8 key, you may need to hold down the CTRL key as soon as you turn on the computer to access safe mode.

On windows 7, computer turned straight off as no option but to turn off so will get the menu asking how I want to go in first, will give it a try a little later.
(08/10/2012 17:31)MPTE1955 Wrote:  
(08/10/2012 16:33)First Class Wrote:  The tutorial is for Windows XP, if you use Windows Vista or Windows 7, it is a possibility that instead of using the F8 key, you may need to hold down the CTRL key as soon as you turn on the computer to access safe mode.

On windows 7, computer turned straight off as no option but to turn off so will get the menu asking how I want to go in first, will give it a try a little later.

Turn computer off normally, or just pull the socket out.

Plug back in, and turn on. As soon as you turn it ON, (not OFF), hold down F8 until a menu option appears, with safe mode. Just don't let go of F8 until the menu.

You can only enter safe mode when turning on, not when turning off.
Latest on the virus is that we couldnt locate he virus as directed in the link that First Class kindly gave, however we thought that we would go for a factory reset and that seems to have solved the problem. We have lost some things we had on the laptop but most of that can be re-entered if necessary. However, I shall not be counting my chickens yet and will see what happens tomorrow when I get home from work. Thanks to everybody who offered advice as most appreciated.
If you've given it a factory reset, everything should have been wiped from the disk so the virus will be gone. The only reason I didn't recommend that earlier was that I assumed you'd have had irreplaceable stuff on there but it's obviously just me that's as careless as that...... Oops!

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)