Current time: 08/05/2024, 20:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Group Speculation
RE: First Group Speculation
That's one of the things that has puzzled me, especially when you see some of the figures involved. Given the number of vehicles that would need replacing, that in itself would require a big spend... The same reason why I ruled out SLT.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
That is the inherent flaw with trying to sell of loss-making operations (or small profit), as generally these have seen little investment over the years due to this fact and as such they are not very attractive to possible buyers.

It’s a bit of a catch-22 situation, First want to sell them as they are loss-making, but no one is interested in them as they are loss making, unless it is so cheap it’s a steal. Look at how business get sold for a token £1 due to this.

Wrexham Transport (Flickr)
What First should do as an incentive to get some companies to buy is place some half decent nearly new vehicles in the sale .

I dont think First want another Devon on there hands where the sale got scuppered and they ended up just pulling out , not good for employees was that .
(05/10/2012 14:01)gilesbus1 Wrote:  I have heard this, there has been a deal made with Rotala for Wigan and an announcement is expected imminently, with vehicles and staff to pass over on Sunday 6th January 2013, it will become co-managed with Preston Bus.

That partually explains perhaps why X699ADK has transfered over as it is the only B10BLE fitted with a tachagraph and I suspect Rotala is interested in Private Hire so no doubt they called the shots on that transfer.

As for the fleet expect withdrawals and secondhand purchases to come in either from within Rotala or from elsewhere.

Wether the operation might be built up with tenders elsewhere in Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Merseyside or wether other operatiosn in the Wigan area or further afield might be bolted on remains to be seen.

Wigan would go part of the way towards filling the gap between the Black Country and Preston for Rotala. SLT and D&G could be next on their shopping list.
Confirmation that Stagecoach have bought the First Manchester business in Wigan for £12 million:

http://focustransport2011.blogspot.co.uk...-from.html

Interestingly coming under the Stagecoach Manchester banner, not Merseyside & South Lancashire. Seems a bit out on a limb for Manchester.
....unless this a starter for ten? (Apologies to University Challenge!)

Mal

Madder and white; probably the best livery in the world!
(31/10/2012 12:20)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Confirmation that Stagecoach have bought the First Manchester business in Wigan for £12 million:

http://focustransport2011.blogspot.co.uk...-from.html

Interestingly coming under the Stagecoach Manchester banner, not Merseyside & South Lancashire. Seems a bit out on a limb for Manchester.

This is now confirmed on Stagecoach's own website here http://www.stagecoach.com/media/news-rel...0-31c.aspx

I wonder whether Stagecoach Manchester Megariders will be valid on these routes? I wonder whether there will be any reshuffle of routes between Wigan and other garages prior to the sell-off?

I went to Fareham on Thursday and rode an Eclipse-branded Volvo B7BLE on the E1/E2 guided busway. Most vehicles in the area were M-T reg including some non-SLF Pointers. I wonder whether this operation could be divested within the next year or so?
(03/11/2012 21:29)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I wonder whether Stagecoach Manchester Megariders will be valid on these routes?

I would have thought so, as the Manchester Megarider is valid within the whole of Greater Manchester. It is already valid on the 113 and 125 within the region.

Quote:I wonder whether there will be any reshuffle of routes between Wigan and other garages prior to the sell-off?
No, everything that is at Wigan will transfer to Stagecoach, and I think this does include the X34. I'm not aware of any services transferring into Wigan (I had wondered if the 12/25/26 might have been lumped in).
Does Wigan depot share any routes with other First depots ?

If they do is there some agreement that will allow either First or Stagecoach to take the route entirely as a joint route between different owners doesnt bode well for revenue share unless they go into a QBP and as we have seen elsewhere they dont entirely produce the best results.
The only services where this happens are the 33 and X34. I'm awaiting formal clarification but I do believe the X34 will be transferring to Stagecoach in its entirety. As for the 33, Stagecoach will operate the evening and Sunday service currently operated by WN, with QS retaining the daytime journeys.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)