Current time: 17/05/2024, 23:22 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First West Coast
RE: First West Coast
(15/08/2012 23:31)CX54 DKD Wrote:  Branson's Virgin offered what was feasible and, ultimately, viable in the long run. If First can make their bid viable in the long run (something I'm sceptical about) then that's fine. The actual usage of the service isn't something that worries me too much until we start to see fares rise steeply or facilities cut. However the security of the franchise in the hands of its operator... that's something that concerns me.

Like I say, if First can make their bid work over an extended period but as to whether they'll be able to do that.... well, we'll see.

My view exactly.

I'm sure the majority of people will agree that its a crying shame that money is the important factor and not passenger experience/comfort.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Assuming First do as they promise, they've got a very good strategy!

New trains, (baby 6-car Pendolinos for Birmingham-Scotland)
New routes, (Bolton, Blackpool & Shrewsbury)
Revised routes, e.g. Some Chester services are expected to in some sort of circle around Wrexham/Shrewsbury:
Refurbishment of the existing fleet

On top of this, you should have London Midland running 110mph WCML services. Now that First don't seem to be implementing 2tph to Liverpool, it is possible that LM will do as they wanted, 1tph Liverpool to Birmingham, 1tph Liverpool to London...
First Class , any alteration to services from Chester to Shrewsbury via Wrexham will have to wait for the dynamic loop to be introduced between Saltney Junction and Wrexham General. At the moment everybody wants to use that section of railway.

There business case for Blackpool probably assumes that the electrification project at the time is on time .

Will they not look at the E-Voyager rather than a baby pendolino .
eVoyager isn't suitable for 221s as the transformer cannot be made to fit around the tilt gubbins.

Similarly the mods for the tit to accept an electrical cross-feed are quite complex.
Now that First have succeeded Virgin for the next West Coast franchise, there will only be 9 participants in the franchised railway. These are Stagecoach, FirstGroup, DB-Arriva, National Express, Go-Ahead, SNCF (Via-GTI), Abellio, Serco and MTR. All franchises will be part or fully run by national bus companies or foreign bus companies, if not both.
What about Keolis? (45% of TPE, 35% of GoVia)
(18/08/2012 21:00)mbonwick Wrote:  What about Keolis? (45% of TPE, 35% of GoVia)

By Keolis I meant Via-GTI but just forgot they had been renamed. Fair comment though.
One of the last pendolinos to go through its overall examinations will probably come out in the new livery for First West Coast or what ever name they will use .

Be interesting to see what a pendolino will look like out of Virgin livery .
(18/08/2012 21:21)wirralbus Wrote:  One of the last pendolinos to go through its overall examinations will probably come out in the new livery for First West Coast or what ever name they will use .

Yeh, this is a likely development on the Horizon.LOL
(18/08/2012 21:36)Metroline1511 Wrote:  
(18/08/2012 21:21)wirralbus Wrote:  One of the last pendolinos to go through its overall examinations will probably come out in the new livery for First West Coast or what ever name they will use .

Yeh, this is a likely development on the Horizon.LOL

Laugh Wasnt horizon a television programme on BBC2Laugh

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)