Current time: 27/04/2024, 00:26 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First West Coast
First West Coast
Judging by the media hype, it is widely expected that the Intercity West Coast franchise is to be awarded to First Group.

If this transpires to be correct, it is likely that "The Shop" will be retained, but the 1st Class at seat service and hot meals will be axed. Virgin Trains deliberately recruited catering staff on a Fix-Term Contract, which expires at the franchise termination date. Apparently this could result in the loss around 300 catering staff overnight.

Personally quite glad Virgin Trains may have lost, never really liked their revenue strategy, although whether First would be any better is debatable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: First West Coast
does virgin own the pendolino or not it which case the trains will not change the price might
(11/08/2012 18:24)Harryn9000 Wrote:  does virgin own the pendolino or not it which case the trains will not change the price might

The Class 221 and 390 trains are owned by a ROSCO, who then lease the trains to the franchise operator. Although the "new" operator can choose not to use the existing trains, as nothing else is available, they don't really have much choice.

In any event, the railcard "easement", allowing passengers with railcards to travel on any "peak" service is expected to be removed.

Individual "Protected" fares will not rise above (RPI+1%)+3% according to the franchise ITT IRRC.

Megatrain fares will obviously disappear, as Stagecoach won't be involved with the new franchise.

I would hope that a better solution is found to managing "peak hours" where trains leave London fairly empty, because it costs over £200! The 19:xx trains then leave rammed, where it is more £70ish...
so if first decided too change to hst then can basically i doubt that will happen to be honest
Pendos and Voyagers are a franchise requirement - they're staying like it or not.
(11/08/2012 19:09)mbonwick Wrote:  Pendos and Voyagers are a franchise requirement - they're staying like it or not.

They aren't, actually, only until 2016/2022. Additionally, although they have to lease them until those dates, they can still deploy additional non 221/390 stock to their services.

The text rather simply states:

"Network Rail believes that vehicles capable of 125mph EPS running are necessary to meet growth and to maximise the fast line capacity of the route..."

However, a Section 54 agreement applies:

Class 390 - expires 2022
Class 221 - expires 2016

"If following the expiry of the section 54 commitments bidders consider it appropriate to replace all or part of either the Pendolino or Voyager rolling stock fleets, the Department expects that at least the equivalent number of standard class seats will be provided by any replacement fleet procured...."

Section 54 agreement is a requirement that franchise bidders lease stock subject to a Section 54 undertaking given by DfT to the relevant ROSCO on the same terms as those on which the stock was previously leased by the outgoing franchisee.

On top of that, there is absolutely nothing stopping First from taking the HSTs that they outright own, and putting them into service with the new franchise, so long as they are additional capacity, and meet any Network Rail timetable requirements. A First HST, for example could replace the "Pretendolino".
I'm well aware of that, however I read Harry's post as implying First WC would go all-HST, which isn't going to happen.

Not sure they would be able to replace the Pretendo with an HST - I would think the HST is a little too slow getting off the mark to fit in the required paths.
(11/08/2012 20:44)mbonwick Wrote:  I'm well aware of that, however I read Harry's post as implying First WC would go all-HST, which isn't going to happen.

Not sure they would be able to replace the Pretendo with an HST - I would think the HST is a little too slow getting off the mark to fit in the required paths.

Ah, no chance of HSTs "replacing" 221/390s in any significant way. If anything, it will be 1 or 2 used as additional capacity.
would love to see an hst in lime street again seen as hitachi has won the intercity replacement contract so we could see them on WCML in 2022
This does make the East Coast franchise most interesting IF the West Coast goes to First .

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)