Current time: 03/05/2024, 01:43 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First West Coast
RE: First West Coast
The Greater Anglia franchise is only a very short term (2 years) one though - most of the major companies didn't want it and are using Abellio as a dipstick for the 15 year franchise from 2014/5.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
You read it here first (doh!) - there is no way anything near the promised premium will ever make its way from First back to the Government.

Just hope the Govt's lawyers have shut the loophole that allowing First to walk away from the Great Western franchise just as they were about to have to start handing over some of the profits to the UK taxpayer rather than their board room suits.
(15/08/2012 16:07)507009 Wrote:  I'm sure Branson will stick to his word, as save for a major overhaul of the franchise system, there seems no point in bidding for franchises where you can perform impressively and still be snubbed when the renewal comes.

I think that hits the nail on the head really, as the franchise seems to be have been awarded purely on finances rather than service quality based on previous experience of operators. The same can sometimes be said with local bus contracts were operators change even if the existing operator is doing a very good job purely as a different one is very slightly cheaper.

Virgin do seem to have done a good job (seeing as the Pendolinos were delivered as 8 coach sets, all became 9 coach sets and many are now becoming 11 coach sets as well as 4 new ones, though one of those replaces 390033) the franchise has grown massively during the time they've been at the helm so surely that should have gone in their favour as well as the security of the jobs for the employees of the franchise.

While I'm sure FirstGroup will keep the jobs (they said earlier that they may change what some staff do but don't plan on reducing staff levels) the fact they've given back First Great Western 3 years early doesn't really bode well for FirstGroup.

I hope they prove us wrong and do a good job and we don't get a situation as happened on East Coast were GNER and subsequently National Express handed back the franchise as the bids were too optimistic and then the route becomes operated by DOR.

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
In a way I do want them to fail, because that is the only way that the franchise system will get the scrutiny it so badly needs.
The government can't be so naive to believe the promises First are promising can be delivered within the bid offered without huge fare increases. So the question has to be asked, has somebody in the decision makers chair got a vested interest in the First group or something against Virgin.
I think someone likes to ensure that there is a mix of operators every so often , to freshen the franchise up . Only time will tell whether this will be a success or a damn big mistake .
Well all I can say is good luck to them and if they manage to pull it off then that is great news. I'm sick of the negative comments about First operating the West Coast Mainline, people should not judge until they have used the service themselves. I know First did pay over the odds but Richard Branson and Virgin did not pay enough and that is it, he is complaining because he lost the franchise - tough, you didn't offer enough and stop whinging about it.

The 2002 Bus Blog is about Transport in the North West of England and North Wales however we do venture further afield on some occasions - why not check out our latest content on our Website

My Flickr page can be found Here

Why not also check me out on YouTube - I play a variety of Simulation Games including Euro Truck Simulator 2 and SnowRunner
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Branson's Virgin offered what was feasible and, ultimately, viable in the long run. If First can make their bid viable in the long run (something I'm sceptical about) then that's fine. The actual usage of the service isn't something that worries me too much until we start to see fares rise steeply or facilities cut. However the security of the franchise in the hands of its operator... that's something that concerns me.

Like I say, if First can make their bid work over an extended period but as to whether they'll be able to do that.... well, we'll see.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
FirstGroup have announced they will be buying a further 12 trains for the West Coast Line, not sure though what they might be, wether they will be further Pedilino's or the sort of stuff they introduced on Great Western.
And what new stuff does FGW have exactly? Can't be 180s - they don't meet crashworthiness standards.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)