Current time: 26/04/2024, 07:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ticketer new Touch in Touch out
RE: Ticketer new Touch in Touch out
(20/05/2021 11:16)wirralbus Wrote:  Thats the operative word ready with the card , how many times have you got on a bus and the person is still rooting around in there purse for there smartcard . I just cant see a tap off system working one of the reasons the system was never really introduced in London , the tube is different because there is a natural obstacle , the ticket barriers.
They had to use a tap on only system in London as Oyster was 1st Gen and could not handle the data. Same as iBus now it would never of been installed. as their better systems.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(20/05/2021 13:52)Mrboo Wrote:  They had to use a tap on only system in London as Oyster was 1st Gen and could not handle the data. Same as iBus now it would never of been installed. as their better systems.

I think in areas like Leeds , Liverpool and Manchester a one price fare will be a better system .

Just dont complicate the passengers mind any more than it is already .
(20/05/2021 22:33)wirralbus Wrote:  I think in areas like Leeds , Liverpool and Manchester a one price fare will be a better system .

The only way that would effectively work is if the single fares where much cheaper than what they are at present. In Manchester it ranges from £1.50 to £3.50 on one operator depending on where you want to go.

Play City Bus Manager? I've compiled collections from different bus mods helpfully created by the community:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/dounowhoia...id=1364210

Play "Bus Simulator 18" on PC, check out my "Finglands" bus mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...2122981042
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(20/05/2021 22:33)wirralbus Wrote:  I think in areas like Leeds , Liverpool and Manchester a one price fare will be a better system .

Probably why a single fare system is in use in Liverpool. Drivers and passengers alike know what it is and it saves the driver consulting fare tables. Plus saves boarding time.
Nobody here has considered the implication of services like 82A, 79C, etc, where the routes are integrated into the Liverpool network but cross-boundary journeys are made. That would undo the whole flat fare benefit at a stroke and necessitate swiping out, unless some way of making the vehicles on those services distinct was adopted. Tapping out gives bus companies useful data that they would probably prefer to have than sacrifice for the sake of a few seconds so I imagine they would require it anyway.
(23/05/2021 15:58)cfm146g Wrote:  Nobody here has considered the implication of services like 82A, 79C, etc, where the routes are integrated into the Liverpool network but cross-boundary journeys are made. That would undo the whole flat fare benefit at a stroke and necessitate swiping out, unless some way of making the vehicles on those services distinct was adopted. Tapping out gives bus companies useful data that they would probably prefer to have than sacrifice for the sake of a few seconds so I imagine they would require it anyway.

Would certainly be useful for tendered services, as so far only data can be recorded where passengers board, unless Merseytravel manually monitor the service, which obviously isn’t the best.
Further to cfm146g’s post, been plenty of time wasted on the likes of the 79C and 82A where a passenger asks for a single to a specific location, so the driver then has to monotonously scroll through all the fare stages to ensure the correct fare is charged.
(23/05/2021 23:13)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  Further to cfm146g’s post, been plenty of time wasted on the likes of the 79C and 82A where a passenger asks for a single to a specific location, so the driver then has to monotonously scroll through all the fare stages to ensure the correct fare is charged.

On the very few occasions that I have used my ENCTS outside of Merseyside, the driver has asked me my final destination and very quickly issued me with a paper ticket with said destination printed on it. When Ultimate and Almex tickets were used, it was incumbent on the conductor - and later driver - to know every fare between stages. To an extent we have all become reliant on the microchip remembering the most basic of information. Other than our own, how many telephone numbers can any of us recall without looking it up?
(24/05/2021 11:36)Barney Wrote:  On the very few occasions that I have used my ENCTS outside of Merseyside, the driver has asked me my final destination and very quickly issued me with a paper ticket with said destination printed on it. When Ultimate and Almex tickets were used, it was incumbent on the conductor - and later driver - to know every fare between stages. To an extent we have all become reliant on the microchip remembering the most basic of information. Other than our own, how many telephone numbers can any of us recall without looking it up?

Other than immediate family, none!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)