Current time: 18/05/2024, 04:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva Strike
RE: Arriva Strike
(27/11/2017 17:35)knutstransport Wrote:  Does the 263 carry many football passengers? The 263 route runs down roads around 1/4 mile from the Altrincham Metrolink route.

As Peoples Bus run Soccerbus and Stagecoach run city centre to Anfield will there be many people who can't get to the Merseyside derby by bus or bus & train?

Arriva operates the 26/7 that pass Anfield and is very popular with the many foreign tourist/fans and the 60 and 81 provide a link from the south end of the city.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(27/11/2017 12:34)mikemcniven Wrote:  Changes to strikes, the 13th December 2017 strike is MOVED to 10th December 2017 to clash with the Merseyside Derby (Liverpool V Everton) and Manchester Derby (United V City) football matches.

Feeling it's becoming a joke now, and they are clearly trying their best to affect passengers now moving the strike to clash with two major football events, with Arriva providing the 263 past United and buses to both Merseyside stadiums.
This is what unite union have released:
Unite slams Arriva North West for spreading ‘false news’ to turn the public against striking bus workers

Unite, the UK’s biggest union, has slammed Arriva North West for claiming that bus drivers have rearranged strike action from Wednesday 13 December to Sunday 10 December – the day of Merseyside and Manchester Derby football matches.

Unite says Arriva is trying to turn the public against striking bus drivers by spreading ‘false news’ on social media today (Monday 27 November). Unite has not issued any ‘official legal notice’ to the company over changes to strike action and planned strike action will go ahead as scheduled for 4, 7, 12 ,13, 14, 20, 21, 22 and 23 December.

Unite regional officer Neil Clarke said: “It is clear that the company is deliberately trying to turn the public against striking bus drivers.

“Our members are definitely not striking on 10 December.

“It would not be legally possible to strike on 10 December as under new trade union laws you have to give 14 days’ notice of strike action to the company.

“This is a company which made a decision not to run park and ride and local school buses and turned them into commercial services to boost profits in a further attempt to discredit Unite – leaving school children stranded.

“And now Arriva management are causing unnecessary concern for football fans over false accusations that bus drivers will be moving strike action from 13 December to 10 December to hit passengers travelling to the Merseyside and Manchester Derby matches. This is totally untrue. Unite has not issued any official legal notice to Arriva management.

“It’s time Arriva stopped playing ‘dirty tactics’ and enters into realistic negotiations.”
Its strange as the union said on their Facebook Page the strike day has not changed but some people have uploaded screen shots on the union saying the strike days have changed

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(27/11/2017 17:35)knutstransport Wrote:  Does the 263 carry many football passengers? The 263 route runs down roads around 1/4 mile from the Altrincham Metrolink route.

As Peoples Bus run Soccerbus and Stagecoach run city centre to Anfield will there be many people who can't get to the Merseyside derby by bus or bus & train?

Nope, although if previous strike days are anything to go by, the 263 is likely to be running to some extent anyway. Sagecoach's 250 used to get pretty busy on the few occasions that I drove it, but Metrolink seems to be the more popular mode of travel. Like most services in the area, the 263 would divert down Talbot Road around match times, so would almost run past the Old Trafford Metrolink stop anyway.
(26/11/2017 12:03)wirralbus Wrote:  It was said at one point somewhere on this forum that Avon staff moved to Stagecoach (Rock Ferry) and Stagecoach staff moved onto Arriva (Laird Street).

What is the consenus of opinion from the driving staff on the forum who pays the better wages in the industry.

I personally can only comment on Manchester. I worked for Stagecoach for a good few years, and Arriva drivers were on a higher wage for most, if not all of that time, although it wasn't a massive difference. However, I think Arriva were perceived as the better company amongst my colleagues, especially in terms of conditions and the way drivers were treated. I know a fair few who went working for them, and still are today. Also of note, and I think it's been mentioned here anyway, is that Stagecoach in Manchester run recruitment adverts 365 days a year. Even at the peak in Arriva's operations around here, they seemed to have no problem in recruiting and retaining staff, and it is still rare to see them advertise for drivers.
(27/11/2017 22:36)T42 PVM Wrote:  Its strange as the union said on their Facebook Page the strike day has not changed but some people have uploaded screen shots on the union saying the strike days have changed

According to form its just a normal driver who runs that page and isn't run by unite at all.
For god's sake people get this sorted for everybody's sake,it doesn't do anybody any good slagging each other off.
(27/11/2017 23:41)motormayhem1 Wrote:  According to form its just a normal driver who runs that page and isn't run by unite at all.

Well that explains where all the confusion is coming from

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
(27/11/2017 23:41)motormayhem1 Wrote:  According to form its just a normal driver who runs that page and isn't run by unite at all.

I could see it going to that on big games, UEAFA matches, United-Chelsea, City-Arsenal, Liverpool-Tottenham, etc. That normally happens when strikes escalate.
(28/11/2017 09:03)RedPanda Wrote:  I could see it going to that on big games, UEAFA matches, United-Chelsea, City-Arsenal, Liverpool-Tottenham, etc. That normally happens when strikes escalate.

It might work for a while , but most of the travelling public just want to be able to get from point A to point B .

The Union will pick high profile days , a high profile day that maybe being looked at is the biggest shopping day of the year BOXING DAY , these days the services are operated commercially .

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)