Current time: 18/05/2024, 12:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva Strike
RE: Arriva Strike
(20/10/2017 13:14)T42 PVM Wrote:  Drivers crossing the picket line

Whether or not staff strike is up to them. If they are a non-union member they can walk out if they want to but can also go in to work if they want to. Members of a different union who haven't voted on industrial action are supposed to report for work as usual (not that they always do.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(20/10/2017 04:04)motormayhem1 Wrote:  Coaches was brought in to operate it.

What company was it?
Selwyns
(20/10/2017 13:21)knutstransport Wrote:  Whether or not staff strike is up to them. If they are a non-union member they can walk out if they want to but can also go in to work if they want to. Members of a different union who haven't voted on industrial action are supposed to report for work as usual (not that they always do.)

I totally agree that non-union members can cross picket lines but, from personal experience, this stance creates great friction and division within the workforce. It's my opinion that if an individual refuses to get involved in official industrial action for whatever reason he, or she, should not receive the increased pay award or improved working conditions when the dispute is settled.

As a matter of interest, how many people - excluding management - did cross the picket line?
Is this industrial action going to be one of those ones that will get settled quickly or will it turn into a war of attrition.
(20/10/2017 16:22)wirralbus Wrote:  Is this industrial action going to be one of those ones that will get settled quickly or will it turn into a war of attrition.

A strike is always a war of attrition. The only variable is the length.
I'm not sure what the arguments are in this case but in general I never understand why some strike when a dispute is over a small percentage of 1% or 2%. If the strike goes one for more than a few days, you would probably lose more by striking that you set to gain in the increase you're attempting to achieve. In my experience, those that decide to strike lose a days pay and end up going shopping, probably ending up financially worse off than if they had gone to work.
(20/10/2017 18:23)urmstonian Wrote:  I'm not sure what the arguments are in this case but in general I never understand why some strike when a dispute is over a small percentage of 1% or 2%. If the strike goes one for more than a few days, you would probably lose more by striking that you set to gain in the increase you're attempting to achieve. In my experience, those that decide to strike lose a days pay and end up going shopping, probably ending up financially worse off than if they had gone to work.

There can be other consequences, too. If a dispute lasts too long, the employer loses customers - and that can lead to job losses (redundancies, etc.)

The ASLEF strike in 1955 led indirectly to the Marples-Beeching rail closures, as some freight customers & passengers abandoned use of rail. A long work to rule / overtime ban at St. Helens Corporation in the late 1960s damaged finances and led to bus service reductions (& less driver jobs)
(20/10/2017 16:14)Barney Wrote:  I totally agree that non-union members can cross picket lines but, from personal experience, this stance creates great friction and division within the workforce. It's my opinion that if an individual refuses to get involved in official industrial action for whatever reason he, or she, should not receive the increased pay award or improved working conditions when the dispute is settled.

As a matter of interest, how many people - excluding management - did cross the picket line?

Should the non-striking member get the original offer then? Offers aren't always about pay so that could create some very different contracts between workers e.g. the non-striking worker might finish up with lower pay but doesn't have to work Sundays, while union members get higher pay with Sunday part of the working week.

It could also be argued some of those who don't strike can't afford to lose a day's pay.
Lets hope the GMB / Unite do not pick the same day as the RMT for industrial action if it continues otherwise people would be in a pickle.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)