Current time: 26/06/2024, 15:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Christmas period Transport 2016
RE: Christmas period Transport 2016
(06/12/2016 08:37)St Helens Rider Wrote:  St Helens Junction won't be busy as there's no trains and as T42 PVM has stated, it's only doing Gillars Green - St Helens. The point I am making is that this is exactly the same section which is subsidised on Sundays but yet Arriva always seem to want to run it on Boxing Day

Didn't relise no trains were running
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
It would make more sense running the full 35 route as people may wanna travel to st helens to get the bus to liverpool as the closest bus to there is a 10-15 min walk upto new street to catch the 32.
Find all posts by this user
Stagecoach route 14a in Liverpool on Boxing Day will run every 20 minutes, which is more frequent than on a normal Monday just every 30 minutes!

In Manchester Stagecoach are running a few traditional services on New Year's Day. They are operating no ex-Bluebird services even though Bluebird used to run on New Year's Day. Due to a typo at the printers, the Stagecoach Christmas booklet refers to Sunday 1 January 2016.
(10/12/2016 22:58)Metroline1511 Wrote:  Stagecoach route 14a in Liverpool on Boxing Day will run every 20 minutes, which is more frequent than on a normal Monday just every 30 minutes!

In Manchester Stagecoach are running a few traditional services on New Year's Day. They are operating no ex-Bluebird services even though Bluebird used to run on New Year's Day. Due to a typo at the printers, the Stagecoach Christmas booklet refers to Sunday 1 January 2016.

Interesting to see there's no 192 running on Christmas Day this year just the usual 43. Patronage must have been low last year.
Also in interesting to see 216's and 219's running on Boxing Day but only 219's running on New Year's Day. Are the trams running on New Year's Day?
(11/12/2016 06:57)Mayneway Wrote:  Interesting to see there's no 192 running on Christmas Day this year just the usual 43. Patronage must have been low last year.
Also in interesting to see 216's and 219's running on Boxing Day but only 219's running on New Year's Day. Are the trams running on New Year's Day?

I don't think route 192 has run on Christmas Day in recent years either. I remember asking at Stockport bus station whether Stagecoach Megariders' validity would be extended a day over Christmas but they checked and said No as just route 43 was still running.

Yes, Metrolink trams are running on New Year's Day as a Sunday service.
(11/12/2016 17:13)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I don't think route 192 has run on Christmas Day in recent years either. I remember asking at Stockport bus station whether Stagecoach Megariders' validity would be extended a day over Christmas but they checked and said No as just route 43 was still running.

Yes, Metrolink trams are running on New Year's Day as a Sunday service.

They ran the 192 hourly I think last year on Christmas Day. It was the first time anything other than the 43 had run but it deffiantly ran.
As I am going to Peterborough & Cambridge just after Christmas, it is interesting to note that on Tuesday 27 December Stagecoach in Cambridge are running a Sunday service while First in Norfolk are running a Saturday service but a Mon-Fri service on route X1. Thus no through buses from Peterborough to Cambridge but 2 buses per hour to king's Lynn & Norwich instead of just 1!
Stagecoach are operating the 1,3,111 in Preston as well as the whole of the X2 route on Boxing Day which has surprised me, timetable here https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.ama...Day16.pdf.

I'm not too bothered about major shops being closed Boxing Day, surely people can do without shopping for a couple of days, however Boxing Day is a big day of Sports events up & down the UK, so nice to see more bus services operating, although a lot of areas still have no buses.

Annoying the Stagecoach Wirral 38A isn't operating on Boxing Day/New Years Day leaving large areas of Wirral without a bus, or on Boxing Day any Public Transport.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(18/12/2016 16:08)MTL0201 Wrote:  Stagecoach are operating the 1,3,111 in Preston as well as the whole of the X2 route on Boxing Day which has surprised me, timetable here https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.ama...Day16.pdf.

I'm not too bothered about major shops being closed Boxing Day, surely people can do without shopping for a couple of days, however Boxing Day is a big day of Sports events up & down the UK, so nice to see more bus services operating, although a lot of areas still have no buses.

Annoying the Stagecoach Wirral 38A isn't operating on Boxing Day/New Years Day leaving large areas of Wirral without a bus, or on Boxing Day any Public Transport.

Perhaps they could not get enough staff to work them , but dont forget Merseyrail's limited west kirby line service now will affect passenger levels from some locations on the 38A route.
For many years the reason given as to why there were next to no bus services over the Christmas period was because it was almost impossible to get staff to work Boxing Day and New Year's Day. How true this was I have no idea. Even now TfL argues that the reason why London doesn't run buses on Christmas Day is because it couldn't get the staff to do so. Perhaps someone in the know could say how much arm twisting takes place in order to run this year's services on Merseyside.

User(s) browsing this thread: