Current time: 27/04/2024, 13:35 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(02/10/2014 16:04)Dentonian Wrote:  I assume you mean 17051. Apologies, I missed that, but I think it has only recently transfered from Middleton.

Yes I did mean that Confused
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Rather surprised to read on one of the Yahoo groups a post by Ross Newman from Ensignbus listing the comings and goings during September.
Of interest locally is that Stagecoach Manchester have apparently sold 40660 to them. Interesting as 40660 was in Ashton yesterday and today on route learning duties.
Enviro400 on the 141 this afternoon, while one of the dual-door Magic Buses was on the 143.
(03/10/2014 19:01)Mayneway Wrote:  Rather surprised to read on one of the Yahoo groups a post by Ross Newman from Ensignbus listing the comings and goings during September.
Of interest locally is that Stagecoach Manchester have apparently sold 40660 to them. Interesting as 40660 was in Ashton yesterday and today on route learning duties.

Does that have a manual gearbox?
(03/10/2014 21:41)VolvoB10M Wrote:  Does that have a manual gearbox?

Yes. The last of its kind I believe.
(03/10/2014 21:48)ace Wrote:  Yes. The last of its kind I believe.

There's another Merc 709 at Hyde Road that's been under the railway arches for quite some time but yes 40660 is the last active 'bread van'.

Apparently there was only a couple of drivers who could drive it because it was Manuel. It will be interesting to see what replaces it on Corrie.
Is it the last of it's kind in Manchester or altogether?
(03/10/2014 22:47)VolvoB10M Wrote:  Is it the last of it's kind in Manchester or altogether?

I'd say so yes. Certainly in the main operators fleets. There might be a few knocking about with smaller coach/private hire companies but it's certainly the end of an era.

Checkmate, M travel, Belle Vue and GB coaches still have Merc Vario's but obviously thier slightly bigger with automatic gearboxes.
Do you know of any in preservation?
(03/10/2014 23:14)VolvoB10M Wrote:  Do you know of any in preservation?

I think there may be some GMB Little Gems in preservation but I'm not sure Stagecoach wise. To be honest I'm very surprised 40660 wasn't retained for preservation given it's history.
I would imagine it will end up being sold abroad as a lot of these minibuses end up in Nigeria and various parts of Africa.

Btw.
Smiths of Marple have one of 40660's sisters that they use on a Derbyshire contract (200 edale service I think) which is in very good condition.

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)