Current time: 04/05/2024, 07:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
Didn't the driver see it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(24/09/2014 20:40)VolvoB10M Wrote:  Didn't the driver see it?

I don't know all the ins and outs of it, only what I've been told by a driver, but apparently the crane should have had appropriate warning on the end of the wagon as the arm jutted out well over 1m.
I know I've seen similar vehicles with flashing yellow lights on the rear warning of the overhang but it seems this vehicle didn't have anything.
The only good thing to come out of all of this is that it happened not far from Middleton Depot so it wouldn't have been far for the bus to be towed back to, also depending on damage the vehicle could be back on the road in no time
Not sure what was being used on 96 yesterday as yesterday afternoon's bus on 152 was Middleton Depot's Hybrid Versa
(25/09/2014 06:13)M60lad Wrote:  Not sure what was being used on 96 yesterday as yesterday afternoon's bus on 152 was Middleton Depot's Hybrid Versa
36073 was on the 96 yesterday at Shudehill, Must admit I wondered where 25343 had gone!
(24/09/2014 22:40)Mayneway Wrote:  I don't know all the ins and outs of it, only what I've been told by a driver, but apparently the crane should have had appropriate warning on the end of the wagon as the arm jutted out well over 1m.
I know I've seen similar vehicles with flashing yellow lights on the rear warning of the overhang but it seems this vehicle didn't have anything.

If the projection beyond the rear of the vehicle was more than 1 metre, the driver should have ensured that the projection was "clearly visible" in accordance with Construction and Use Regulations. That could be a red triangle or a flashing light. Sometimes it is a simple as a hi-viz vest fastened to the end, but I am not sure that is best practice!!

Anyway, if it was not marked in some way the driver of the vehicle with the crane in it was to blame, not the bus driver, as it is his responsibility.
Mark or no mark, you wouldn't pull up that close.
Unless emergency stop...
Thankfully no one was on the top deck, those Tridents are knackered anyway.

(23/09/2014 17:57)andyh Wrote:  The 145 is a magic service which run from cheadle Hume and Burnage to Albert square via Parrs Wood Road then down Wilmslow rd to the city centre service is run by Sharston runs in one direction only with no return journeys like the 253 mon to fri only

That's an unusual route, why only 1 trip?
(25/09/2014 11:05)R971XVM Wrote:  Mark or no mark, you wouldn't pull up that close.

Technically it was down to the crane driver by all accounts but I'm sure the driver will have got a stern talking too as well. I often see bus drivers getting very close to the vehicle in front espically at traffic lights, and all it takes is for something like a van with ladders on and potentially anyone sat upstairs at the front could end up severely injured.

That's why I never sit upstairs at the front, as it's not just low bridges you have to worry about Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 11 Guest(s)