Current time: 07/05/2024, 05:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Gillmoss Depot
RE: Stagecoach Merseyside - Gillmoss Depot
Don't get me wrong - the main reason for its use at Chorley was for breakdown cover, but they were also told to try it out on different routes to check suitability.

You don't just do tests like that for the sake of it......
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(15/02/2014 19:58)CX06 EBK Wrote:  At a time when Merseyrail aren't operating to Southport, it's not really the time to have a shocking single deck allocation to that route, which is busy at the best of times between Liverpool - Southport.

To be fair, that's exactly what Arriva have on their Liverpool - Southport routes.
That's hardly the point though is it? The X2 is regularly ran by deckers which are very busy and this MAN is a real poor substitute. That's like saying Stagecoach use singles on the 82 and 86 so its ok for Arriva to do so, it really isn't. With the Arriva routes, you know what you are getting, likewise with the X2. It's just not an ideal allocation given that the X2 is likely to have a higher allocation due to the train issues at present, in the past when Merseyrail have issues the bus routes do tend to be busier.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
(15/02/2014 20:49)CX06 EBK Wrote:  It's just not an ideal allocation given that the X2 is likely to have a higher allocation due to the train issues at present, in the past when Merseyrail have issues the bus routes do tend to be busier.

Indeed, and a lot of the Arriva 47/48 buses I've seen this week have been very busy, further evidence of the higher loads when the trains are not running properly.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
Well Arriva done themselves proud today as well, 7654 instead of a pulsar on 47. Neither of these allocations are ideal. Admittedly, I wouldn't have been overly impressed with either of these vehicles turning up if I was travelling on Liverpool - Southport routes today but there really are more important things in life to complain about than a rare working of a single deck bus on a route that normally has deckers.
(15/02/2014 20:49)CX06 EBK Wrote:  That's hardly the point though is it? The X2 is regularly ran by deckers which are very busy and this MAN is a real poor substitute. That's like saying Stagecoach use singles on the 82 and 86 so its ok for Arriva to do so, it really isn't. With the Arriva routes, you know what you are getting, likewise with the X2. It's just not an ideal allocation given that the X2 is likely to have a higher allocation due to the train issues at present, in the past when Merseyrail have issues the bus routes do tend to be busier.

Personally, I don't think that using a single-decker on the 2X2 on a Saturday at this time of the year is such a big deal. If the Scania decker failed in the Liverpool area Gillmoss didn't have much option if it had to provide a replacement as it only has nine deckers in total and they were all probably out on the 86 route. The alternative was to wait for a replacement from Preston and that would probably have taken several hours to arrange. Also, I was told - but did not witness it myself - that last Wednesday during the storm and high winds most if not all of the 2X2s were operated by single-deckers from midday onwards.
(15/02/2014 21:23)Barney Wrote:  
(15/02/2014 20:49)CX06 EBK Wrote:  That's hardly the point though is it? The X2 is regularly ran by deckers which are very busy and this MAN is a real poor substitute. That's like saying Stagecoach use singles on the 82 and 86 so its ok for Arriva to do so, it really isn't. With the Arriva routes, you know what you are getting, likewise with the X2. It's just not an ideal allocation given that the X2 is likely to have a higher allocation due to the train issues at present, in the past when Merseyrail have issues the bus routes do tend to be busier.

Personally, I don't think that using a single-decker on the 2X2 on a Saturday at this time of the year is such a big deal. If the Scania decker failed in the Liverpool area Gillmoss didn't have much option if it had to provide a replacement as it only has nine deckers in total and they were all probably out on the 86 route. The alternative was to wait for a replacement from Preston and that would probably have taken several hours to arrange. Also, I was told - but did not witness it myself - that last Wednesday during the storm and high winds most if not all of the 2X2s were operated by single-deckers from midday onwards.

Indeed, there was 5 Versas, a pair of Esteems and a Scania Enviro400
7654 was covering for a pulsar which had a mishap on is first run so that was the only spare available.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(15/02/2014 21:45)J654UHN Wrote:  7654 was covering for a pulsar which had a mishap on is first run so that was the only spare available.

Any bus is better than no bus, as a one off there's no issue with that
(15/02/2014 21:36)Scania1996 Wrote:  
(15/02/2014 21:23)Barney Wrote:  

Indeed, there was 5 Versas, a pair of Esteems and a Scania Enviro400

Thanks for confirming that info. My source is usually very reliable.

Looking at the photo of 24178, it appears to have a paper sticker with 'X2' on it even though it is also showing the correct destination and route number on the Hanover blind. As a matter of interest, how easily and quickly can a digital blind be reprogrammed? Could this have been done when it got to Preston bus station on its first trip?

User(s) browsing this thread: 40 Guest(s)