Current time: 16/04/2024, 23:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mersey Ferries
RE: Mersey Ferries
(29/08/2012 10:34)P450 SWX Wrote:  I believe there has been work on the MV Royal Iris in London has anyonw goa a update - I heard the hull has been fixed and it is now floating???

Andy

I went to see the Royal Iris whilst I was in London photographing the Olympic buses.
It was high tide and I can confirm that she is now floating. Unfortunately from what you can see there does not appear to be any other external work done to her and the rust is a lot worse than when I last saw her around three years ago.

Les.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Even if she doesnt ever sail again in anger , i do think the Royal Iris should be brought back to her spiritual home and used for some form of tourism activity .
Finally, Merseytravel tackles the loss making ferries and withdraws the Daffodil. Possibly going to a museum of some sort.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool...-31967625/
Its a pity , but now there will be no flexibility , this means one thing that there probably will not be as many Manchester Ship Canal Cruises after the 2013 season .

In the 2013 season on some days both ferries that remain will be in use , so if one fails then that work will have to be foregone .

I think Merseyferries might look at some trips now and look at removing them from the booking schedule to just ease the pressure.
I would expect that the Ship canal cruises probably make more money than all of the Mersey cruises.

Winter running may just end up being the commuter service, with the Summer tourist services starting later and finishing earlier.

Suppose it could end up being the equivalent of a railway "parliamentary" service.

Noticed that the Merseytravel Beatles Story attraction is also being reviewed, not making as much as they thought I imagine.

Perhaps the Beatles Story and Ferries should be rolled into one operation and sold off? I just can't see how it can be profitable. There isn't even a social need to the ferries, with buses and trains easily covering the routes.
An act of parliament would have to be passed for the service from Woodside to Liverpool to cease formally.

There is no such problem with the service from Seacombe Ferry to Liverpool.

The Mersey Ferries are what is termed as a good weather attraction , how much good weather have we had this year though.
(04/10/2012 21:56)wirralbus Wrote:  An act of parliament would have to be passed for the service from Woodside to Liverpool to cease formally.

There is no such problem with the service from Seacombe Ferry to Liverpool.

The Mersey Ferries are what is termed as a good weather attraction , how much good weather have we had this year though.

Well the charter says

"that the prior and monks and their successors for ever may have there the Passage
over the said Arm of the Sea as well for men as for horses and other things whatsoever, and may receive for that Passage as may be reasonably done."

So, all you do, like on some railway lines, is run one service, once a year, which would be a minimum, as you are still running it "forever", just not very often.

That said, I don't think it would be hard to get an Act of Parliament. They'd just slip it in the next Transport Act as some back page schedule.
I do think that there would be a big outcry if the Mersey Ferries where to be chopped completely , i think both Wirral metropolitan Borough council and Liverpool City Council know that as well .

The Mersey is the heart of the area and no ferry on it would be a calamity.
The Daniel Adamson Preservation Society have hired one of the Mersey Ferries for a cruise on Sunday 14th April. The cruise is from Seacombe, Liverpool and Woodside to the Cammell Lairds Wet Basin. The cruise starts at 1230 and will last approximately four hours. The cost is £25 per person.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(23/01/2013 08:41)childwallblues Wrote:  The Daniel Adamson Preservation Society have hired one of the Mersey Ferries for a cruise on Sunday 14th April. The cruise is from Seacombe, Liverpool and Woodside to the Cammell Lairds Wet Basin. The cruise starts at 1230 and will last approximately four hours. The cost is £25 per person.
All 340 tickets for this cruise were sold out within nine days!

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles

User(s) browsing this thread: