Current time: 24/04/2024, 05:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Manchester bus franchising
RE: Manchester bus franchising
(27/12/2022 20:41)1466 Wrote:  Staff will be TUPE'd over, and the contracts are subject to the Greater Manchester Good Employment Charter, which will preserve and enhance employment rights, amusing seeing the MD's of GNW and Diamond committing to worker's rights https://youtu.be/me9Y5FqjWWs

Not sure why it’s amusing but I’d take anything the Diamond MD says with a pinch of salt.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(27/12/2022 20:21)Mayneway Wrote:  There is a stipulation regarding TUPE. Whoever takes over depots and contracts HAS to offer TUPE to any staff effected my the change. We have been told this already in a Q&A with our management.

But what if it a new depot with staff moved from few depots. Your going to get staff wanting more money to all be on same rate. This will ramp up running costs. This will also mean some depots will be high risk to invest in.
(28/12/2022 00:03)Mrboo Wrote:  But what if it a new depot with staff moved from few depots. Your going to get staff wanting more money to all be on same rate. This will ramp up running costs. This will also mean some depots will be high risk to invest in.

Let’s use diamond as an example. They are moving out of Bolton and closing the current Eccles depot and setting up a new larger one. Their standard pay rates and terms and conditions will move across to the depot. If a new company came in like Abellio then they would have to establish new rates and terms etc.
(28/12/2022 00:03)Mrboo Wrote:  But what if it a new depot with staff moved from few depots. Your going to get staff wanting more money to all be on same rate. This will ramp up running costs. This will also mean some depots will be high risk to invest in.

I worked for bluebird...there was 2 rates of pay
I worked at Queen's Rd Inthe 90s there was double deck rate minibus rate SOU rate not to mention citibus rate ..timeline rate
(28/12/2022 10:54)Michael Wrote:  I worked for bluebird...there was 2 rates of pay
I worked at Queen's Rd Inthe 90s there was double deck rate minibus rate SOU rate not to mention citibus rate ..timeline rate

Exactly. Costings will be worked out on the highest rate of pay it’s not a major issue having several different pay grades.
(27/12/2022 20:21)Mayneway Wrote:  There is a stipulation regarding TUPE. Whoever takes over depots and contracts HAS to offer TUPE to any staff effected my the change. We have been told this already in a Q&A with our management.

Mrboo seemed to be referring to non-GM bus changes that had happened in the past, so I was commenting on TUPE from a legal prospective.

If the 130 route gets included in the bus franchising agreement, I can't see D&G drivers in Wincham wanting an automatic transfer to a Wythenshawe depot, especially if D&G pick up a new contract in Northwich or Winsford.

I can also foresee some changes to depo's routes. For instance, I can't see franchising retaining Mon-Sat daytime 288 services operating out of Eccles, while evening and Sunday services operate out of Wythenshawe.
(28/12/2022 15:58)knutstransport Wrote:  Mrboo seemed to be referring to non-GM bus changes that had happened in the past, so I was commenting on TUPE from a legal prospective.

If the 130 route gets included in the bus franchising agreement, I can't see D&G drivers in Wincham wanting an automatic transfer to a Wythenshawe depot, especially if D&G pick up a new contract in Northwich or Winsford.

I can also foresee some changes to depo's routes. For instance, I can't see franchising retaining Mon-Sat daytime 288 services operating out of Eccles, while evening and Sunday services operate out of Wythenshawe.

Has anything definitive been published about cross boundary services ?. Although I'm sure Burnham would love to extend his business grab, he can't touch staff that operate outside his jurisdiction. If that happened, it would drag in the likes of Stagecoach (Preston), because of the 125 and Transdev (Blackburn and Burnley) because of the X41/X43. Is the 130 a pure CEC contract or does it get TfGM funding for the appropriate GM section of route ?.
(29/12/2022 11:40)KXW212 Wrote:  Has anything definitive been published about cross boundary services ?. Although I'm sure Burnham would love to extend his business grab, he can't touch staff that operate outside his jurisdiction. If that happened, it would drag in the likes of Stagecoach (Preston), because of the 125 and Transdev (Blackburn and Burnley) because of the X41/X43. Is the 130 a pure CEC contract or does it get TfGM funding for the appropriate GM section of route ?.

Yes...they have a permit to continue to operate in greater Manchester. Andy Burnham..is only the mayor of greater Manchester...
(29/12/2022 11:40)KXW212 Wrote:  Has anything definitive been published about cross boundary services ?. Although I'm sure Burnham would love to extend his business grab, he can't touch staff that operate outside his jurisdiction. If that happened, it would drag in the likes of Stagecoach (Preston), because of the 125 and Transdev (Blackburn and Burnley) because of the X41/X43.

Subject to DfT approval Southport, Buxton and Alderley Edge train services are to be included in a 'Bee Network' from 2025, with touch in and touch out fares. It would seem a bit daft if you could use the 'Bee Network' to Wilmslow by train but not by bus. Historically System One included Wilmslow while Wilmslow was excluded from the TfGM rail area.

Quote:Is the 130 a pure CEC contract or does it get TfGM funding for the appropriate GM section of route ?.

The 130 was just the first example that came to mind. If D&G still had the 288 it would have been a better example to illustrate the point I was making.

I don't think the 130 receives any TfGM funding. Cheshire East put out different options to tender and opted for the one that extended to Wythenshawe, over the one that terminated at Handforth.
(29/12/2022 12:22)Michael Wrote:  Yes...they have a permit to continue to operate in greater Manchester. Andy Burnham..is only the mayor of greater Manchester...

Prior to the formation of the PTEs in 1969, local agreements crossing municipal boundaries were commonplace. Within Merseyside, Ribble and Crosville services were limited as to where they could pick up and set down as was the the joint services between Birkenhead and Wallasey Corporations on the Wirral. Someone with a good memory will confirm that this was the case in Manchester.

I suspect that routes such as the 125 and X43 will require some sort of agreement as is the case with certain London Buses routes that operate beyond the TfL boundary.

As for "Burnham", he has promised to see out his tenure as Mayor of Greater Manchester but I suspect that you will need to focus your attention elsewhere after that.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)