Current time: 07/05/2024, 02:35 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Diamond Bus North West
RE: Diamond Bus North West
(09/02/2021 10:05)Mayneway Wrote:  I don’t think they have won anything significantly to cushion the blow of the losses. They have retained the 217 and the 247 and possibly gained the 171/172 but I’d think it’s work they would rather have won on top of the tenders they have lost.

Bolton has and always has had driver shortages whereas Eccles has always done ok with drivers. It’s easy to say close Eccles and move what’s left to Bolton but I can’t see many of the drivers travelling that far so you loose more of your vital drivers.
171/172 is 5 buses so it will certainly cushion the blow. I'm sure the Alt/Sale tenders work out to be around 7/8 buses overall. so a net loss of 2-3 buses. Not good but not as bad as it could have been. It will be interesting to see what Diamond send out on the 171/172 since Stagecoach were putting deckers out a fair bit pre Covid due to the amount of school kids getting on.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(10/02/2021 08:47)iMarkeh Wrote:  171/172 is 5 buses so it will certainly cushion the blow. I'm sure the Alt/Sale tenders work out to be around 7/8 buses overall. so a net loss of 2-3 buses. Not good but not as bad as it could have been. It will be interesting to see what Diamond send out on the 171/172 since Stagecoach were putting deckers out a fair bit pre Covid due to the amount of school kids getting on.
When Beeline had it they had Mercedes-Benz mini buses on the route about 30 seater. I don't see many routes with standing anymore and that makes you think there waste in the system. like Stagecoach running Deckers on tenders as no route needing a decker should be on a tender. So I would put on a Optare Solo on the 171
(10/02/2021 09:26)Mrboo Wrote:  When Beeline had it they had Mercedes-Benz mini buses on the route about 30 seater. I don't see many routes with standing anymore and that makes you think there waste in the system. like Stagecoach running Deckers on tenders as no route needing a decker should be on a tender. So I would put on a Optare Solo on the 171

I think the idea is where possible use the biggest buses available to encourage social distancing. When Maynes ran the 171/172 it was a mix of single and double deckers. Certainly no mini’s as they didn’t have any
(10/02/2021 14:16)Mayneway Wrote:  I think the idea is where possible use the biggest buses available to encourage social distancing. When Maynes ran the 171/172 it was a mix of single and double deckers. Certainly no mini’s as they didn’t have any
But who pays for the bigger buses and the fuel and it not as eco. Deckers move air and air don`t pay fares. if you was planning to hire a bus or coach for a event would you pick the right bus that means every seat is full or pay for a bus that 50% is not used and that without counting standing.

No one should be traveling currently and even when schools are back they can drupe a bus that can be filled as they dont need to social distance school services.

I have never seen a 171 standing only.

It like when I used to get the 168 they used to be standing only when they used the Dennis Dominos.
But there was no hint of cutting that route as it had the right bus for the job
often routes get lost when they try run big buses on small routes as they look unused but use a small bus and the service looks used.
(10/02/2021 15:20)Mrboo Wrote:  But who pays for the bigger buses and the fuel and it not as eco. Deckers move air and air don`t pay fares. if you was planning to hire a bus or coach for a event would you pick the right bus that means every seat is full or pay for a bus that 50% is not used and that without counting standing.

No one should be traveling currently and even when schools are back they can drupe a bus that can be filled as they dont need to social distance school services.

It like when I used to get the 168 they used to be standing only when they used the Dennis Dominos.
often routes get lost when they try run big buses on small routes as they look unused but use a small bus and the service looks used.

I expect it’ll be cheaper to run single contract with a bus thats too big for the most part, than run 2 contracts - one for the regular bus and one for a school contract from cedar mount.
(10/02/2021 16:03)djb Wrote:  I expect it’ll be cheaper to run single contract with a bus thats too big for the most part, than run 2 contracts - one for the regular bus and one for a school contract from cedar mount.
No as your talking 2 trips a day out of about 48 and there Yellow School Bus Y8 operated by Stagecoach – Moston, Newton Heath, Clayton, Openshaw, Gorton. if you ask for a bigger bus you pay for it. a local coach firm can run the school drupe that interworks with school baths. but would have to be PSVAR as it takes fares.

You also have the 150 for Gorton and there a 171 School bus to Wright Robinson

and 727 for Barlow high school
(10/02/2021 15:20)Mrboo Wrote:  But who pays for the bigger buses and the fuel and it not as eco. Deckers move air and air don`t pay fares. if you was planning to hire a bus or coach for a event would you pick the right bus that means every seat is full or pay for a bus that 50% is not used and that without counting standing.

Have you been out lately?? Let me tell you as it is as a driver eco drives in and out of the city centre all day...... people are still travelling and shock horror buses are still busy. Currently the government is subsiding commercial bus journeys and encouraging bus operators to use larger vehicles where possible to aid social distancing. It’s all good and well sending a Solo out on a tendered service but once it’s got 5 passengers on its ‘full’ and your leaving people at bus stops.

Yes buses are not carrying the passenger numbers they carried pre pandemic but their not running around empty.
(10/02/2021 16:44)Mayneway Wrote:  Have you been out lately?? Let me tell you as it is as a driver eco drives in and out of the city centre all day...... people are still travelling and shock horror buses are still busy. Currently the government is subsiding commercial bus journeys and encouraging bus operators to use larger vehicles where possible to aid social distancing. It’s all good and well sending a Solo out on a tendered service but once it’s got 5 passengers on its ‘full’ and your leaving people at bus stops.

Yes buses are not carrying the passenger numbers they carried pre pandemic but their not running around empty.
I am talking tenders and pre pandemic. with no running big buses on routes not getting 40+ at any one time. Deckers are for 65+ passengers often they run round with 20 passengers.

This weekend I have a very busy rail replacement from Clapham Jr to Croydon and buses will be carrying 40+ people each service. I will be loading to the 50% limit but last weekend I was given midi buses and they ran with 15 people+ if people have to wait they wait but there no law about having more people on a bus it down to the driver. but like you pointed out they are getting paid more to put on bigger buses.
(10/02/2021 17:56)Mrboo Wrote:  I am talking tenders and pre pandemic. with no running big buses on routes not getting 40+ at any one time. Deckers are for 65+ passengers often they run round with 20 passengers.

This weekend I have a very busy rail replacement from Clapham Jr to Croydon and buses will be carrying 40+ people each service. I will be loading to the 50% limit but last weekend I was given midi buses and they ran with 15 people+ if people have to wait they wait but there no law about having more people on a bus it down to the driver. but like you pointed out they are getting paid more to put on bigger buses.

In some cases it (admittedly not in the case of 171/2) it works out cheaper to use a DD on a tendered service due to interworking with a busier routes or some cases they will run a DD/Large SD on a tendered off peak only route due to them later doing a peak time board on a busier route,there are plenty of reasons why it might happen alongside the likes of Schools being previously mentioned.

Another thing to consider also is public perception of buses at the moment,whilst a lot of people won't be using them to due being furloughed/working from home,the fact that they are seeing buses (When out doing shopping or exercise) with plenty of space for passengers & social distancing could help them feel more comfortable to return to travelling on them once lockdown eases.
Well there not going to be Deckers on the 171/172 anymore
if they run it out of Eccles, they have
Optare Solo maybe they will use the longer ones
Mellor StrataS
StreetLite there only 8 so unlikely to be used

User(s) browsing this thread: 11 Guest(s)