Current time: 03/05/2024, 07:45 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
(25/02/2020 11:16)EDB325 Wrote:  Probably. They'll be likely to need changing over part way through the day.

Why is this assumed? They have 188 Mile Range and rapid charging, this is surely enough to get through a duty.

---
Thanks
Ant

Check out my YouTube Channel updated regularly at 18:00 Most Days;
https://www.youtube.com/c/apdmediatransp...nel/videos

Check out my content on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/envirohunter
https://www.flickr.com/photos/envirohunter/albums

Updated recently with a trip down to the South Coast in 2021 & Railway Pictures from 2017.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(26/02/2020 11:35)ant17612 Wrote:  Why is this assumed? They have 188 Mile Range and rapid charging, this is surely enough to get through a duty.

The 43 is a 24 hour service. There must be even now, an element of changing buses over, to keep the service going, so shouldn't be an issue.
Find all posts by this user
Just speculating , but there will probably be early, late, middle and split duties , therefore any vehicle on an early split ca in theory go back on charge so it is capable of coming back out in the afternoon and survive until last bus at night.
I don't know how the rostas work ther hence speculation. but this would eradicate the need of expecting a bus to last from say 0430 until 0100 the nest morning.

Maybe if we have a forum member with knowledge of hoew these routes are operated they could join the debate.

As an aside I was in Vienna a couple of weeks ago (what a brilliant transport system- but that's for another time). They operate electric single decks around the old part of the city centre' I think they were Yutongs.
When a bus reaches the terminus by the Opera House there is a spur taken from the adjacent tram wires where the bus bus parks under, a pantograch raises and it draws a top up charge. What a simple, effective idea and system- these buses operate from 0500 to 0100 poosibly later with no need to return to the depot for recharging.
Manchester could very easily use this kind of system.
(26/02/2020 18:53)B10B6514 Wrote:  Just speculating , but there will probably be early, late, middle and split duties , therefore any vehicle on an early split ca in theory go back on charge so it is capable of coming back out in the afternoon and survive until last bus at night.
I don't know how the rostas work ther hence speculation. but this would eradicate the need of expecting a bus to last from say 0430 until 0100 the nest morning.

Maybe if we have a forum member with knowledge of hoew these routes are operated they could join the debate.

As an aside I was in Vienna a couple of weeks ago (what a brilliant transport system- but that's for another time). They operate electric single decks around the old part of the city centre' I think they were Yutongs.
When a bus reaches the terminus by the Opera House there is a spur taken from the adjacent tram wires where the bus bus parks under, a pantograch raises and it draws a top up charge. What a simple, effective idea and system- these buses operate from 0500 to 0100 poosibly later with no need to return to the depot for recharging.
Manchester could very easily use this kind of system.
Sharston works off Bus Duties and because of many factors, the buses can have a good 3 boards throughout the day so very few buses are actually out all day. Most come back throughout the day and then go back out on a later board. 111 buses could run into Sharston NIS every so often and replace the driver shuttle bus but also provide charging opportunities. Same can't be said for the 43 but buses will go out and come back throughout the day.
Thought as much. That's why hopefully this experiment will be a runaway success.
I feel it's just the beginning and practice will make perfect.

This Boris government want a 100%electric town in the next year. I reckon Southport or Wigan would fit the bill perfectly although both have substantial out of town routes.

Let's see...
Latest from stagecoach, is the electric buses are due to enter service next week
(26/02/2020 13:47)KXW212 Wrote:  The 43 is a 24 hour service. There must be even now, an element of changing buses over, to keep the service going, so shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe wrong but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the MMC’s continue being the mainstay on the nightbus.

---
Thanks
Ant

Check out my YouTube Channel updated regularly at 18:00 Most Days;
https://www.youtube.com/c/apdmediatransp...nel/videos

Check out my content on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/envirohunter
https://www.flickr.com/photos/envirohunter/albums

Updated recently with a trip down to the South Coast in 2021 & Railway Pictures from 2017.
Stagecoach's new Alexander Dennis/BYD Enviro 400 City EV 100% electric double deckers entered service on services 43 (Manchester Airport - Piccadilly Gardens) & 111 (Southern Cemetery - Piccadilly Gardens) today.

These buses feature next stop audio visual announcements, USB power outlets, zero emissions and e leather ADL Smart seats onboard. The onboard experience is nice, visually silent onboard, and had air conditioning vents fitted (for when it's actually Summer, if it comes!)

14020 LF69UYM at Manchester Airport bound for Piccadilly

[Image: 49605057478_58331ef3bf_b.jpg]
Stagecoach LF69UYM by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

LF69UXP 14001 at Leestone Road bound for Piccadilly

[Image: 49604459362_c529e92646_b.jpg]
Stagecoach LF69UXP by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

LF69UYV 14028 after leaving the depot, running empty to Manchester Airport to pick up service

[Image: 49604254447_2e9f429187_b.jpg]
Stagecoach LF69UYV by Mike McNiven, on Flickr
LF69UYY is in service with no fleet number, name, or branding. A fellow enthusiast says he saw LF69UYZ similarly naked earlier. I think these are 14031/2, the last pair in the batch.
(02/03/2020 15:47)EDB325 Wrote:  LF69UYY is in service with no fleet number, name, or branding. A fellow enthusiast says he saw LF69UYZ similarly naked earlier. I think these are 14031/2, the last pair in the batch.

These two were the ones at Cambridge, noted there a couple of saturdays ago unbranded & no fleet numbers.

Pete

User(s) browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)